Hard Disk SMART Command Failed

The Sweeper 16:47 25 Nov 2008

Switched on this morning and got the above message on boot. Have gone into the bios and disabled the SMART diagnosis but you've guessed it, still wont boot and no recent backup. Is the hard drive now terminal and consequently I will be unable to get data from it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:02 25 Nov 2008

SMART is just a drive diagnosis tool and if smart is not working should not affect the data on the drive.

Make sure the cables are fully inserted on drive and motherboard ends.

re-enable Smart and retry to boot.

Legslip 19:56 25 Nov 2008

Thanks Fruit Bat. Took the drive out and put it into another PC and same problem. Fink its had it! Just wished I could get the data off!

gardener 12:20 27 Nov 2008

You may be able to save your data if, when installing the new drive ( assuming it's an IDE drive) you set the jumper on the back of the drive to 'master', and then set the old drive's jumper to 'slave'.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:11 27 Nov 2008

If the PC cannot "see" the drive in BIOS, then any software recovery programs probably won't work on it.

Any idea what make of drive? you could download manufacturers diag program and run.

crosstrainer 15:12 27 Nov 2008

Dead drive I'm afraid.

The Sweeper 15:44 27 Nov 2008

I'll have a go at a few of the Tips 'n Tricks over the weekend. Fingers crossed!

The Sweeper 17:15 01 Dec 2008

Froze it, warmed it up, bashed it, crashed it and tried using as slave. All to no avail. Oh well!! Thanks anyway.

Mike2002 22:42 01 Dec 2008

You bashed it and crashed it - that's a recipe for disaster!

My main drive failed; it didn't pass one of the SMART tests and wouldn't boot. Luckily enough I could still hear the platter spinning. After buying a new drive, and connecing the failed one as a slave, I ran 'Get Data Back for NTFS'. It was brilliant and recovered almost everything that was on the drive.

crosstrainer 08:12 04 Dec 2008

The "Smashing and bashing" Approach is never a good idea....Sounds as if it wasa dead anyway, but you knocked any remaining life out of it!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

30 UK artists have created vibrant posters celebrating Pride London

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?