Hard Disk Size Not Supported by Motherboard

rich53 13:43 09 Jul 2006

My 7 year old Evesham P3 450MHz Scorcher has a hard disk problem ,I think. Local dealer tried a 40 GB ,capping to 32GB with no luck.Evesham says I need same size (12.7 GB) as larger hard disks are not supported by motherboard.They are unable to help further.I'm doubtful about being able to buy a disk this small these days ,chuck the computer ?

Pamy 14:17 09 Jul 2006

If Evesham say motherboard will not support a larger disk, then they are probably right. Why not look around computer fair for a second hand one?

You could just find out what your motheboard is, and go to their site and see what they say about sise of drive.

bugzy101 14:20 09 Jul 2006

this is not completly true, dell said to me that my 1.6ghz computer would only support a maximum hard drive of 60gb and i put a 120gb in that computer with no probs and sold it.

Smiler 14:22 09 Jul 2006

You probably need a bios update
click here
You need something like maxblast click here

What make of hard disc is the new one?

andybinladen 14:34 09 Jul 2006

The easiest solution to the problem of motherboards not suporting reasonably sized drives is to install an IDE adaptor card which contains its own BIOS. I usualy use the Promise ultra DMA 100/133 cards which are cheap now as they have been superceded by the SATA types but either will work ok it just depends which types of drives you want to use.
Beware of problems with certain versions of windows having their own limitations such as windows 98 and its 60 GB partition problems which are only partialy solved by utilities and patches. If the drive is say 160 Gb on win98 partition it into three partitions at the command prompt(DOS) level before formating them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?