Hard Disk Problem

johndrew 19:44 13 Oct 2007

As a result of a problem with a SATA HDD I used SeaTools Z to erase the drive and take it back to a fully empty condition. SeaTools also confirmed the drive as `good`.

When attempting to reformat the HDD it insists on becoming a `Dynamic` disk when all I want is a Primary Partition disk. It is recognised as `Unallocated` but I am unable to find a way of formatting it as it was. Can any one provide SIMPLE instructions to get me out of this dilemma please?

The OS is XP Pro SP2 and the drive is a Maxtor. The motherboard is capable of RAID but I don`t use it.

Many thanks in anticipation.

johndrew 20:02 13 Oct 2007

Resolved!!!!!

After much playing I found my way to do it. Thanks to any who considered responding.

Fermat's Theorem 20:17 13 Oct 2007

this problem arises for other forum users, would you mind posting how you found your way to do it?

Glad your problem is resolved :-)

johndrew 21:15 13 Oct 2007

Yes, I should really.

When I went to Computer Management (Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools) the Wizard opened inviting me to initialise the drive. I followed this but instead of `Finishing` I went to `Next` and followed the prompts.

Swelecting `Finish` leaves only the option to format a `Dynamic` drive but following on provides the option for a `Basic` drive which (I think) is more commonly used.

johndrew 21:15 13 Oct 2007

Swelecting = Selecting

Fermat's Theorem 22:31 13 Oct 2007

for the response. It is always good to know how a given problem has been resolved. ... It may not be your problem today, but tomorrow ....

:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone