Hard disk from one PC to another

Salamander7 16:25 13 Jul 2014

Ok quite a lengthy issue.

1. Old WIN XP system wont boot. I already fitted new PSU and was ok for a few weeks before problem came back. Sick of it.
  2. My plan is to take HDD from duff machine and fit it into another XP machine which I know works.
  3. Problem is I removed the HDD from the working machine formatted it and used for storage elsewhere. So if I put HDD from duff machine into working XP machine it will have all the wrong drivers etc. Would it just refuse to work or would boot up and allow me to install correct drivers?
  4. Another complication is the HDD I propose to transfer is IDE and the machine I am moving it to is SATA so I will have to buy an adaptor which of course may not work first time until I tweak the jumpers etc.

In summary I guess I am asking what would happen if you just took a hdd from one XP machine and then tried to boot from it in another. Is it possible to do this and what steps do you need to take.

Salamander7 17:21 13 Jul 2014

No I am moving the hdd from the duff PC into a PC which I know works except I took out its HDD to use elsewhere. I have the CD from the manufacturer of the working PC with all the drivers on it. All I need is the chance to install the drivers when I attempt to boot the hdd from the duff PC in the working PC.

Salamander7 17:21 13 Jul 2014

No I am moving the hdd from the duff PC into a PC which I know works except I took out its HDD to use elsewhere. I have the CD from the manufacturer of the working PC with all the drivers on it. All I need is the chance to install the drivers when I attempt to boot the hdd from the duff PC in the working PC.

Jollyjohn 17:23 13 Jul 2014

It may work, I have had limited success with ide - sata adapters.

XP may boot and run badly until all correct drivers are installed.

Personally I would buy a new sata hdd and install XP. Will be much less hassle in the long run.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 13 Jul 2014

Fit drive into machine and boot whilst keep taping F8 until the menu appears.

Select safe mode from the menu

It should then boot into safe mode using windows generic drivers.

In safe mode see if you can uninstall the old drivers in device manager and install the drivers from your CD.

woodchip 19:09 13 Jul 2014

CD does not work in safe mode

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:45 13 Jul 2014

It should work as CD drivers are part of the windows basic drivers.

rdave13 21:25 13 Jul 2014

Safe mode and Windows installer, click here.

Secret-Squirrel 08:39 14 Jul 2014

Salamander, you need to be aware that the Windows licence is tied to the motherboard of the duff PC. Even if you can get your second PC to boot with the drive from your other one, Windows will fail to activate. If your version of XP is an OEM one (which most are) then you'll never be able to transfer the licence to the new PC. If on the other hand it's a retail version then should be possible.

imendpc 14:02 14 Jul 2014

Plenty of advice and there are major risks. I would add that :- Clone the old disk to new disk and try with advice from others. This way you are safe with old disk's data preserved. There are USB 2/3 adapters to both SATA and IDE disk interfaces to effect this disk clone which costs £10 to £20.

Salamander7 22:50 14 Jul 2014

Thanks for all the replies. In the light of all your advice I plan to do as follows: Purchase new HDD for the working computer and install Win Xp. Can you still get Service Pack Two or is it discontinued? My install CD is for SP1.

Install the old HDD from duff machine as second HDD and transfer stuff to new HDD. I am keen to use Adobe Audition from old HDD but dont have install disks. Could I just drag and drop to new hdd or would I have to run it from the old HDD?

What do you think?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?