Hard disk not shown by Windows Explorer

mikeling 20:10 11 May 2003

I have recently installed a second hard drive (IBM Deskstar) inside my PC which I have configured (by way of the jumpers) as a slave drive to my current ‘C’ drive.

When I start the PC the new disk is recognised by the BIOS and shown in the POST but is not shown by explorer. If I go the Control Panel>System>Device Manager>Disk Drives, the new hard drive is shown as a generic IDE type 47 unit. If I click on properties, the ‘device status’ is shown as ‘The device is working properly’. When I select the ‘settings’ tab, no drive letter is shown as being allocated and the drive letter assignment boxes are ‘greyed out’.

I have tried changing the order of the two hard disks on the drive cable but it makes no difference.

Can any one please offer any help?

Many thanks.

rmn 20:15 11 May 2003

did you format the harddrive? what o/s are you using?please let us know.have you got partition magic or boot magic installed?

Beas-Knees 20:16 11 May 2003

Have you partitioned and formatted the new drive,Windows will not recognise it until you have.

Cathode 21:22 11 May 2003

If you are using Win XP in the run command type "Diskmgmt.msc" without the quotes, & see if it shows there, you may have to assign it a drive letter by right clicking the disk (if shown).

mikeling 19:48 12 May 2003

Thanks to you all for your help. The problem is know resolved. I disconnected the original hard drive and then partitioned and formatted the new drive which I configured as master. I then reconfigured it as a slave and reconnected the old drive. Everything is now working fine.

Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?