hard disk not found in bios

ricvic 10:14 23 Oct 2006

I have a 3 year old aries PC, win xp home, which has given good service. Yesterday it was on (but not used) for a few hours. When i returned to it a blue screen told me that windows had been shut down to prevent damage. On rebooting, the hard drive was absent from bios. The bluescreen message advised uninstalling any recent changes.
It was ok when left for a few hours, and error reporting shows no problems.
My instinct/fear is that the HDD is dying, but error reporting does not support this. I've backed up all important data (children's homework projects mainly) The only thing which I have recently added (other than XP updates) is diskeeper lite. DK lite seems to get rave reveiws and no allegations of problems.
Any advice?

Gongoozler 10:42 23 Oct 2006

Hi ricvic. Presumably you have entered BIOS by pressing the DEL key at bootup and not found the hard drive there. You could try resetting the BIOS to default settings. If that doesn't help, check all the connections are secure. After that it's possible that the hard drive has failed or been corrupted, it's also possible that the motherboard is faulty. The only way to tell for certain is by substitution, and I think the easiest way would be to buy another hard drive. They are optainable fairly cheaply, e.g. click here. You can then hopefully install Windows on the new drive, and connect the old drive as slave. You may also be able to use the makers diagnostic software to see if the old drive is recoverable.

ricvic 13:05 23 Oct 2006

Yes: immediately that it happened I went into bios and the HDD was not detected. I left the computer for a few hours. When I came back all was normal and the HDD was detected.

Gongoozler 15:09 23 Oct 2006

I think it could be a heat problem. I suggest that you make sure all your important files are backed up, and it might be a good idea to get a new drive and replace your old one anyway.

ricvic 16:08 23 Oct 2006

Thanks for the advice. I've already backed up the important stuff. I'll probably replace the drive do as you suggest, but I'll need to check the restore cd first!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?