Hard disk failure - please help!

NickyK 16:54 20 May 2008

I have a XP on a Dell Inspiron 8600. I also have a router (Netgear).

I have not added any illegal downloads or any illegal material. Nor have I used torrents. I have not added any new programs in recent times.

I have telephoned the Dell help line and they have not been any help at all, despite my warranty.

I have this message when I try to start up:

A problem has been detected and Windows had been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

I have tried staring in safe mode, and I have run a diagnostic. I have also rebooted.

Any help would be most welcome!

brundle 16:56 20 May 2008

Read this, use the link in the post;
click here

woodchip 16:57 20 May 2008

MBR Master Boot Record is Corrupt, You may be able to correct this using a XP CD. Start with CD at the Command Prompt type
FIX /MBR press enter.

Then try a reboot without the CD

NickyK 17:14 20 May 2008

Thanks brunble. It doesn't answer my prob. Also, please remember that it is not always easy to use search because you get far to much useless hits. Sometimes it is best to present a problem as a new problem.

brundle 17:31 20 May 2008

Did you follow the same instructions as #2 here?; click here

Any error messages? Did the disk check actually run?

NickyK 17:38 20 May 2008

I am still not sorted out. I do not know what a Windows XP disc is. All my stuff is Dell. Please help!!!!!

Also, I am actually helping a chum on the phone, so I am second hand, but he needs our help!

brundle 17:49 20 May 2008

XP CD - should have come with the Dell - I'm not certain if it would give you the repair options an original Microsoft XP installion CD should, so if you can borrow a genuine Microsoft XP CD, it will do. Or if the machine has a floppy drive and you have 6 disks handy you can download and create the XP boot disks (on a working machine) needed to run the disk-checks that might solve the problem. click here

You need to boot with a CD or the floppies to tackle it.

NickyK 17:56 20 May 2008

He also got this:

If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware, or software/

Disabl;e BOIS memory options, such as caching or shadowing.

If you need to use saafe mode to remove or disable components, restart the computer press F8 to select select advanced options and then select safe mode.

NickyK 17:57 20 May 2008

He has tried all of these options and it doesn't work. Sadly, he is 100 miles away so I can't pop up with Bart. Not sure that would help any.

NickyK 18:02 20 May 2008

Thanks brundle!!!!

Sorry to be snappy.

Yes, we have tried that. The main thing is he can't boot, or when he does, he gets the message I said at the top of this thread. Obviously, I have been helping over the phone so it is not an ideal situation. I know this. But he is one of my best friends and, sue me, I like to help!!!!

NickyK 18:07 20 May 2008

Dell have finally agreed to come and stick a new HD in his computer - after trying to pretend they were not obliged (so much for warranties then). So, all is not lost and he has backed up his stuff.

I guess I am pissed off because I couldn't help.

Sorry. Very cross! Oops.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone