Hard Disk Failure or What???

Antz 23:58 26 Aug 2006

I had to do a complete re-install of windows xp due to frequent 'blue-screens'and no luck in finding the source of the problem. Now things have only gone from bad to worse. After each apparently succesful installation my p.c fails to re-booth. I get error messages referring to 'hard disk read errors' and booth disk failure. On the one ocassion I managed to get windows running I had a sudden blue screen telling me that windows had shut down to'prtect my system' and to check any recent hardware installations. Is this a hard disk issue or is it possible that there are system conflicts such irq's. I have not removed my pci cards for instance........any suggestions please!!!!!!

woodchip 00:01 27 Aug 2006

If you are getting Read errors the first thing to do is run Disc check in Safe Mode. tick the box to auto fix all errors. Do a full scan

woodchip 00:02 27 Aug 2006

PS you should then put the XP disc in the computer and from Run Type SFC /SCANNOW

DieSse 01:01 27 Aug 2006

Read errors and boot disk failures almost certainly point to a faulty drive. One slight possibility is the cable - try fitting a new one, they're cheap enough.

If these keeps happening after re-installs, and is getting worse - 99% sure it's the drive.

DieSse 01:02 27 Aug 2006

If you want to check the disk out, you can get a manufaturers diagnostic program free from their web site.

There is another very slight chance it could be a RAM problem.

Antz 01:17 27 Aug 2006

I ran a disk check on the one succesful re-boot I had today and it reported no problems. I even scanned the empty space for errors with none reported. This is why I question the issue of it being the Hard Drive. Maybe there is a RAM problem.

DieSse 11:57 27 Aug 2006

Scan disk is a very poor test of a drive - in fact it's not really a test at all - it just reads the drive with no attempt to put any stress on it - just a quick check. It also allows transient read errors to pass without comment, I believe.

A manufacturers diagnostic will do a proper test of drive functioning - if it passes such a test, then the drive is very very probably OK.

DieSse 12:00 27 Aug 2006

You can get a RAM test from

click here

and here

click here

rodriguez 12:27 27 Aug 2006

click here enter the 3 digit security code near the top and press download. It's a boot CD I made with a load of system & diagnostic utilities. There's also a few for testing your hard drive performance. A good one is SpinRite as this will acurately scan the disk for problems. These tests may take a while but they should report any problems on the disk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?