Hard Disk Erasing???????

Garrit 09:57 12 Nov 2007

Hi,

I am looking to erase the hard drive on my old laptop. I was wondering however, If i totally erase the drive I will have to re-install XP and everything else. I have back up discs from the Manufacturer. Will this disk contain the XP operating system or do I need a separate XP disk (which I dont have as XP was pre-installed)?

Thanks

Garrit.

johndrew 10:19 12 Nov 2007

If you use the disks supplied with your laptop, you will end up with a laptop in the condition it was supplied to you. You will lose all OS updates and anything else you loaded. You must backup anything you want to save from the old installation somewhere else.

Karakorum 10:19 12 Nov 2007

To erase everything EXCEPT the Operating System you can delete all your other files. - And empty your recycle bin.
Thery are still on your disk of course, so then you should get e.g. Eraser click here and do a "Wipe Free Space".
You can select how many overwrites you want. If you have a large disk it could take some hours (overnight?) but at the end you'll have a clean disk but still with a working O.S.

Karakorum 10:31 12 Nov 2007

Eraser ia also useful by the way for securely erasing or even moving sensitive files or folders as you are working.

If you wanted to wipe EVERYTHINg (inc the O.S.) you could use DBAN click here or another one is KillDisk click here

They are both free.

Garrit 09:31 13 Nov 2007

Thanks for the replies. Been a great help and have now done the necessary.

Cheers 4 now

Garrit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?