Hard Disk Compatibility

Baffer 17:03 13 Dec 2007

Please help. My L10 Toshiba laptop(4 years old) has a 40GB hard disk (MK4025GAS HDD2190 B ZE01S)
I think the hard disk has a problems as it is taking 20 mins+ to start up windows, even after loading the recovery disk software, which should bring it back to as-bought condition. When the hard disk finally stops running, the PC appears to work OK using internet explorer etc. The 'check disk' option in Xp does not indicate any problems. However, after a few days usage the laptop fails with a message saying it can't find certain windows files???
I have a spare Hard Disk (Hitachi 30GB DK23DA-30F) which comes from a redundant HiGrade laptop. The size and connections are the same and the power from the 30GB is less than the power from the Toshiba. Can I just swap the hard disks and reboot using the recovery disk or will I have to get a new 40GB HDD.

skidzy 17:33 13 Dec 2007

"Can I just swap the hard disks and reboot using the recovery disk or will I have to get a new 40GB HDD."

Unlikely Baffer,due to the possibility of the recovery discs needs access to a possible hidden partition that contains the os.

You may need to buy a new version of windows for the other drive.

You could try using Acronis and clone the current drive while windows is working ok,and transfer the clone to the new drive (Hitachi 30GB DK23DA-30F)

You will need a usb adaptor or caddy for the Hitachi drive temporarily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone