Hard Disk Boot failure

Jem 22:08 21 Sep 2003

I have an intermittent problem when sometimes my PC does not boot up when I turn it on. It appears it is looking for and not always finding the "IDE drive" and returns an error message "Master boot failure".

When I try again it usually works but not always.

I'm at a bit of a loss as I've not done anything to the PC except some weeks ago a new network card was installed to allow me to go "broadband".

Should I look for a loose wire?

Jem

Xevious 22:10 21 Sep 2003

or a new hard disk...

sounds like it's on it's way...

Simsy 22:13 21 Sep 2003

It sounds like the HDD is begining to fail, or, possibly, there is a loose connection on one of the connectors to the HDD, which might explain the intermittent nature of the problem.

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

Jem 21:27 25 Sep 2003

Xevious and Simsy

Thanks. I think you could well be right - it took many attempts to start today and I've been backing up data files furiously!

Does anyone know how easy it is to create an image of my hard drive on a second drive - or pay someone to do so before it finally gives up the ghost. It's a 60Gbyte HDD. Currently I'm afraid to turn the PC off as it only struggles at the boot stage.

Jem

woodchip 21:34 25 Sep 2003

Try a new Ribbon cable

mark e 22:04 25 Sep 2003

make sure the ribbon cables is seated properly.

pcgal 22:07 25 Sep 2003

Jem,

Try to get hold of norton ghost and simply clone to another drive.

goodluck

Jem 20:43 27 Sep 2003

I've now had the following advice from Evesham - and it seems to have cured it! So for the benefit os any others...

1. Unplug PC from mains and depress "power" button for 5 secs (apparently discharges any static build up (which can cause failure of auto detect). 2. Plug back in and re-start while pressing "delete" key which takes PC into "BIOS configure" mode. 3. Select "Standard Bios" and then "Reset IDE Autodetect" (or something similar). 4. Save and Exit.

Following this my PC now seems to be behaving again!

Not sure how much of this is specific to my PC but the general principle may be applicable.

Thanks for all the help.

Jem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?