hard disk

kingussie 22:53 04 Mar 2006

When I try to defrag my C drive I cannot as there is only 4 % space and the mesage is to delete some files. How do I do this and can I move them to my D drive which has 95 % free space

kingussie 23:15 04 Mar 2006

sorrry meant hard drive C:

Quiet Life 23:25 04 Mar 2006

Yes.
Right click on folders in C drive and "send to" D drive and then right click again on the folders in C drive and "delete" them.

Hertz Van Rentyl 23:28 04 Mar 2006

You can either: Discard some files, back some up on removeable media or transfer some to other drive. Have you cleaned your system lately, suggest you use crap cleaner to find crap files.
Need to make space for defragger to juggle files get crap cleaner here
click here
To delete unused programmes go to control panel\ Add/Remove programmes. To delete old data files send to recycle bin

kingussie 07:45 05 Mar 2006

Use CC all the time but Cdrive is still full. When I right click on folders the option to send to D drive does not come up..only CD Mail recipient etc

ICF 08:02 05 Mar 2006

Open a window for both C & D drives and drag and drop files from C to D.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:32 05 Mar 2006

HAve a look in the c:\windows folder, have you got a lot of files starting with $, these are restore points for updates.

If everything is working ok you can delete these it will save a lot of space.

kingussie 12:59 05 Mar 2006

There are a lot in windows that start with $NTuninstallKB89 etc can they be deleted

Quiet Life 14:13 05 Mar 2006

Hi Sorry to have misled my D drive is removeable and I can right click and send.~
Drag and drop as suggested by ICF and then delete originals in C drive.
You must have a lot of personal files like pictures, videos, music etc and these are probably safer to transfer rather than deleting Windows files.

Start»Programs»Accessories»System Tools»System Restore Settings»Settings
You can then see how much of your disc is being used by System Restore and move the slider to reduce.

kingussie 14:26 05 Mar 2006

Thanks for that, the setting was set at max so I have reduced it to a lower setting. Can I remove the $........files as there are so many. Also I dont understand the bit about removing the files on C drive after moving them to D...surely they would not be on C drive any more. I have freed of 15% from C so I can defrag but that still leaves me 80% full !

Hertz Van Rentyl 14:37 05 Mar 2006

When you copy files from C to D you will have a duplicate version on each drive, therefor you will be able to delete the version on the C drive to make some space, which is the objective.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?