hard disc virus?

fymlor 16:10 28 Dec 2006

in the last 12 months i had a total of 4 hard discs break.1 was on a server.they are maxtor segate etc.i did transfer a lot of files between them and therefore if a virus/worm was on one hard disc it could have been transfered to the other ones. i personally have never heard of a virus that physically damages the structure of the hard disc/plate but they have all become unusable and unreadable, if it was a virus it did get pass my virus protection, therefore i need to know whether a} there is a virus that could do such thing and b} which virus protection will protect my hard disc.

jimv7 16:21 28 Dec 2006

Unlikely to be a virus, I would check that the psu is ok, if the psu was not powerful enough or faulty it could cause hard drive failures.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:27 28 Dec 2006

a} is there a virus that could do such thing?
Yes, boot sector viruses
click here

b} which virus protection will protect my hard disc.
Avast or AVG as long as there are kept upto date

You should also beable to repair the boot sectors of the other drives

fymlor 16:27 28 Dec 2006

they are are all in differnt pc's

Diemmess 16:37 28 Dec 2006

.........I mean did the dud disks disappear from BIOS or Windows?
Or did they simply become unreadable?
What error messages appeared on the screen?

The reason for asking you is to try and find whether the motor or mechanicals of the disk failed, or perhaps the FAT has been scrambled.

With corrupted software as a cause, it might be possible to re-habilitate the old disks back to a freshly formatted condition.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 28 Dec 2006

"i did transfer a lot of files between them and therefore if a virus/worm was on one hard disc it could have been transfered to the other ones"

fymlor 10:23 01 Jan 2007

the confusing aspect is that they all have different faults.one clicks and will not spin up one can not be formated even in dos others checked with manufacter utillyties report errors

Pengy1 10:34 01 Jan 2007

Try doing a low level format on these disks.I have brought unreadable disks back to life doing this.If you go to support on the Seagate website you will be able to make two low level format floppys which you use at start up.Good luck

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?