hard disc security

tricia-2753 18:05 07 Jun 2010

I have a hard disc which I use to back up and keep some important documents in and I want to keep it safe, how do I put a password on it? I have clicked into security and it asks you to define a user permission which I have done ie; me but when I try to use it it doesnt ask me for permission which means anyone can access it I believe? also can I encrypt the contents, I have read on this web page that you can keep your stuff safe with windows 7 with fingerprints but not with the windows 7 I have which is windows 7 premium not the higher spec windows.

T I M B O 18:22 07 Jun 2010

I don't know if this will be of any help to you, but i get these news letters and i remember this. It scares me to use such software.

click here

Scroll down a bit to where it says "Lock your sensitive data in a hidden vault "

Best of luck....

robin_x 18:53 07 Jun 2010

Your post jogged my memory.

I see Truecrypt is listed above, an that is the one everyone recommends.

So I just tried it. Bloody hell!! Bit of a learning curve maybe.

I used to use Axcrypt for a while, which is a whole lot easier.
Install, then right click files and folders to see simple "choose a password & etc options".

Note with Axcrypt. People can still see your folders and files. But they can't open/read them.

Try them both. Don't forget your passwords. I believe they are uncrackable. GCHQ excepted?

WinZip etc passwords and other apps can easily be broken I believe.

I don't have any security now, cos I don't keep any very confidential data on my PC and I am the only one to use it. So I have only had a cursory look at these programs.

click here

T I M B O 19:02 07 Jun 2010

Excellent post ..... Thank you !

rawprawn 19:17 07 Jun 2010

click here
Not free, but easy to use, and used by many large accountancy firms.
I have both Lockngo Professional for an exterior drive, and Lockngo standard for a Pen Drive.
Excellent

rsignals 23:30 07 Jun 2010

We use PGP quite a lot, see here: click here

tricia-2753 09:02 08 Jun 2010

Thanks guys for all your really useful advice, as always, I love using this site, you are all so helpful!!happy days

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

These beautiful, mesmerising & subtle GIFs celebrate 30 years of the artform

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017