Hard disc replacement

Roy* 22:37 04 Oct 2006

I need to replace my hard disc as it’s developed a fault. It’s a 2 year old Mesh system (XP) with vital data backed up on various DVDs. However if I install a new hard drive there’s a lot of time required to load all the programmes and data back in and they’ll be loads of bits missing.

Whilst the current drive is still working could it be possible to install a new one and copy the entire contents of the old one (~50Gb) onto the new one, remove the old, and start up with no apparent change? Can’t imagine it’ll be that simple but gladly read any advice.

Totally-braindead 22:40 04 Oct 2006

Have a look at this, haven't tried it yet but its meant to work and you can get it for free at the moment click here Acronis True Image. I'm sure some of the members who are more used to the program will be able to guide you through it if necessary.

vitrocmax 22:46 04 Oct 2006

It is simple so long as your current drive is working, but it does depend on how comfortable you are opening up the case.

A new drive can be installed in your PC as there is almost certainly a slave connector on your IDE hard drive cable (although at 2 years it could be SATA). It can then be 'cloned' using one of several utilities.

I use Acronis True Image, some prefer Norton Ghost, there are others.

If you want to try, we need more info. How much can you give?

Size doesn't matter, but let us know how you feel about getting into the case, and how much you know.

vitrocmax 23:05 04 Oct 2006

I see you have started another thread, seems like it's too late to recover now...

Roy* 20:14 05 Oct 2006

The other thread was the original. I started this one as i thought i wouldn't get any more feedback.

The current drive seems to work fine at the moment. I'm just worried that soon it will die. So I want to:

a) Get a new one and transfer everything and continue from there (~50GB).
b) Find some way of analysing the current one and if a fault is identified 'c'.
c) Clean faulty one and return to base (still under guarantee), so Mesh will hopefully replace it, then I'll have 2 hard drives to last me for a good while.

I'm OK about getting inside the box had to take out the DVD drive and RTB when it was new. I'll give you the spec of main components:

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Motherboard: K8V-MX (ASUStek Computer inc.)
Hard Disk: 204GB (Maxtor 6 B200M0 SCSI)

I guess all the other stuff like RAM and graphics card is not so relevant for this enquiry?

Any advice much appreciated.

Rigor mortis 20:22 05 Oct 2006

click here

Just used it to clone a failing hard drive and replace it with a new one. No problems.

Roy* 20:38 05 Oct 2006

So XXClone copies the it all onto the new one and then when you boot it up it works off the new one? Do you have to make some changes in some setting somewhere?

Any recommendations for which hard drive I should buy to replace the current one? Not looking to spend loads and 200GB is more than enough?

Current spec:

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+
Motherboard: K8V-MX (ASUStek Computer inc.)
Hard Disk: 204GB (Maxtor 6 B200M0 SCSI)

Totally-braindead 21:41 05 Oct 2006

Personally I would use Acronis True Image as I know it works from what others have said. Regarding the size of drive its really up to you. You would certainly want at least the same size of drive.
As another possability. I couldn't find your motherboard listed so I don't know if you have it but if your motherboard has RAID on it and it works with SCSI drives which I am unsure about you could setup a RAID 1 setup which is mirrored. Basically what it does is keep 2 copies of all the files on 2 seperate drives so if one fails for whatever reason you just boot from the other. The 2 drives really have to be identical or at least that is what is recommended but as I said I don't know if your board has RAID as I couldn't find it on the ASUS website, the manual will help here, and I don't know if it works with SCSI drives. My board only allows me to use SATA or IDE drives but perhaps yours is different.
Just a thought.

Totally-braindead 21:44 05 Oct 2006

Found it click here one question. You mention SCSI drives. I presume you have a seperate controller for this as theres no mention of it under the specs?

Roy* 22:42 05 Oct 2006

Don't know about controller? Looking at my spec sheet the Chipset is VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller? Whatever that means, probably nothing to do with what you're on about?

So looking at that link to the mother board does SATA (RAID0, RAID1 & JBOD) mean it has the RAID thing you mentioned?

Really appreciating the help, so please continue with any recommendations.

vitrocmax 00:30 06 Oct 2006

I was suspicious of the SCSI story - it's very uncommon to use SCSI with Mesh and most other 'home' PC manufacturers. The drive isn't a SCSI, I think there's an error in reporting somewhere - Maxtor's website says the 6B200M0 is a DiamondMax10 SATA drive,

Clone using True Image is my suggested option, it's easy to fit a new driv, clone the drive, then power down take out your old drive, plug the new one in the first one's connector and you should boot up without any problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?