HAPPY NEW YEAR CHAPS, + 1 N/Work question...

AngeTheHippy 19:51 02 Jan 2008

Hope yr Crimbos went well.

OK then. Briefly, will try AGAIN to connect wirelessly this week. Although I wanted to encrypt to WPA-PSK level, I'm wondering whether I should just put up with WEP? Thing is, as I'm very Green on n/working Technology, is the Encryption only necessary to stop nearby people/neighbours(NOT mine of course!)from hacking into PC? Or does is also stop Hackers miles from here? I hope I've worded that in a coherant way.....

AngeTheHippy
xx

pchelper001 20:01 02 Jan 2008

the encryption only stops people who are in the vicinity. Of course not everyones neighbours hacks their nextdoor neighbour but it does happen. WEP is good enough to stop any neighbour, so i would stick with that.

Kemistri 20:19 02 Jan 2008

"WEP is good enough to stop any neighbour" - only if they are not very computer savvy.

Since WPA is no more complex, and all ratified devices must support it, why would anyone be daft enough not to use it?

AngeTheHippy 21:16 02 Jan 2008

Kemistri :: Since WPA is no more complex, and all ratified devices must support it, why would anyone be daft enough not to use it? :: I tried 2 different Wireless routers during November - the first one, a Sitecom, would NOT encrypt AT ALL, I returne dit for refund then bought a BT Voyager that WOULD encrypt to WEP but no higher. THAT'S why I can't use it! As I live rurally though, maybe I should just be happy with the WEP encryption??
pchelper001, that's helped a lot thanks. I wasn't sure whether it was only vacinity protection.

Thanks,

xx

Kemistri 21:25 02 Jan 2008

You might want to try another brand, in that case: like Linksys, Belkin, Draytek, 3Com, Buffalo, Zyxel, US Robotics.....

AngeTheHippy 22:19 02 Jan 2008

I also need a Dongle for the PC and a NW card for the laptop. The first 1 I tried, the Sitecom was very fast between the router in one room and the laptop anywhere else in the house. The BT was sooooo slow and very frequently lost the signal. There are only a few shops I can buy from that will allow me to return for a refund each time, so I've got to be sure now which one I buy next! I also don't like reading reviews as they can be so conflicting - one person raves about brand X another completely dismisses the same brand!

xx

Kemistri 22:53 02 Jan 2008

Don't let a store dodge its responsibilities if the product isn't up to standard. If you get a lame duck, reject it as not fit for its intended purpose. Most people who dismiss brand X do so after using just one of them and getting a bad copy - but that's easy to spot, because their comments usually start with "I bought an X and it didn't work, so X is rubbish". If they said "I have tried to install six of these things and they were all sub-par", then I take note. I also keep an eye on consumer satisfaction reports (PC Pro, Which Online, etc.) because they get feedback from a huge user base and give a better impression of percentages.

Kemistri 23:01 02 Jan 2008

Don't let a store dodge its responsibilities if the product isn't up to standard. If you get a lame duck, reject it as not fit for its intended purpose. Most people who dismiss brand X do so after using just one of them and getting a bad copy - but that's easy to spot, because their comments usually start with "I bought an X and it didn't work, so X is rubbish". If they said "I have tried to install six of these things and they were all sub-par", then I take note. I also keep an eye on consumer satisfaction reports (PC Pro, Which Online, etc.) because they get feedback from a huge user base and give a better impression of percentages.

pchelper001 08:51 03 Jan 2008

try a netgear router, and netgear wireless usb adapter, they are normally quick and easy to set up, and if you have problems, you can ring netgear and they will willingly help.

AngeTheHippy 10:38 03 Jan 2008

Might well buy Netgear. Notice there are some on special offer at present. Tell me though, (for Laptop) are Dongles better than PC N/W cards? Reason I ask is that the first setup, the Sitecom, I used Dongles in both PC and the Laptop and connection was excellent and fast. With the Voyager however, I used a Dongle in the PC and the Laptop had a N/W card the connection was bally awful. Slow, losing connection etc. All 3 components were Sitecom with the Sitecom, and BT with the Voyager, so not as though the manufacturers were mixed (if you understand!!).

Ange
x

pchelper001 10:42 03 Jan 2008

a dongle would be better i believe than a network card but it depends if you want to have a large netowrk dongle sticking out the side or back of your laptop. I have got through a couple of dongles by putting the laptop down forgetting the dongle in the back!

p.s ... it is better having the same manufacturer for dongle and router...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?