Hangs at boot & doesn't recognise second drive

Kuya 19:26 16 Jan 2008

Computer hangs at boot up. It can take up to half an hour and more than a hundred attempts to get onto my desk top. Often when I do it will hang. System will remain stable after I've sucessfully reached my desk top 3 ~ 4 times. Computer will also hang in safe mode and the bios screen!

I have two hard drives of 200 Gb the second one is often not recognised. Entering the bios and auto detecting brings strange results. Each time I tell the bios toauto detect it comes up with a differant size for the drive!

I've had the mother board replaced and the C drive. This cured the problem for a while, but when the warranty ran out the problems reaccurred.

I'm running XP, have 1 Gb of memory and the processor runs at 3.4

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:37 16 Jan 2008

I would be tempted to renew the PSU to make sure there was enough power to run the drives etc. especially if hanging in BIOS and the motherboard is replaced already.

Technotiger 19:49 16 Jan 2008

Yes, I definitely agree with Fruit Bat /\0/\ the PSU is almost certainly on its last legs!

And I would say the PSU problem is Urgent!!

Kuya 20:24 16 Jan 2008

Sorry guys! What's a PSU? Are we talking about the power supply here?

rossgolf 20:26 16 Jan 2008

yes

Technotiger 20:26 16 Jan 2008

Power supply - Yes (Power Supply Unit).

Technotiger 20:28 16 Jan 2008

I would suggest you need at least a Good Quality 500W PSU.

Kuya 20:32 16 Jan 2008

If there's a major problem with the PSU wouldn't this cause continual problems once running. When I do get my computer running I've played games on it for hours without problems. However, the next day the same problems are there!

Kuya 20:35 16 Jan 2008

Is it possible to test the PSU first before replacing it? It's not that old - less than 2 years.

Technotiger 20:35 16 Jan 2008

So far, most of what you have said are typical PSU symptoms.

Technotiger 20:37 16 Jan 2008

I have had a PSU breakdown when it was only two weeks old, let alone 2 years.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?