Hanging Computer

drybones 10:42 23 Jun 2009

Hi all,
I have got a problem with my PC and it's making me pull the little bit of hair I've got left out,when I switch on the pc it goes through the normal routine as quick as ever but once I've signed in it starts to load the task bar then hangs and will stay like that for ages the only way to get it up and running is to force a shut down and start again this can take 3-4 attempts before it opens up. I have 2 items that keep want to register every time I start Delivery Manager and Photoshop Downloader 4 could this be anything to do with my trouble ( I am using Bitdefender Total security ) Has anyone else had this happen or can anybody suggest a cure please. Almost forgot my PC is a Dell E521 using Windows Media centre edition, many thanks for reading this plea Drybones

gary2112 11:42 23 Jun 2009

hi there . click on the start button-run and type msconfig then click on services .then click on hide all micrsoft services .click then click disable all then click apply ,then what you will need to do then is reboot windows .run msconfig again then Enable each service till you find the one thats slowing your computer down and disable it .

drybones 20:51 25 Jun 2009

Hi I gave it a go but still no joy I think it will soon be time to reinstall from scratch as it is really bugging me thanks for trying anyhow

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:48 25 Jun 2009

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

drybones 11:40 26 Jun 2009

I must be a bit thick in me old age!!! how do I get into repair XP and where doI type sfc /scannow please I know it can be done as my Grandson has done it but he is in the USA at the moment with his job hence the plea for help.My eyes are never quick enough when he does anything his fingers fly all over the place, me thinks I was born to soon for this game.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:23 26 Jun 2009

Start - RUN... -Type

sfc /scannow

press OK

drybones 16:05 26 Jun 2009

Many thanks for your patience I understand what you mean now I will give it a go and see what happens, once again thank you for your help

drybones 11:15 27 Jun 2009

Well I gave it a go now working fine so once again many thanks for your advice. Dennis

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?