Halo Graphics issues

crysta1s1ayer99 19:48 06 Jun 2007

Hi all,
I have just installed Halo-Combat evolved on my relatively new PC, as soon as the game gets to the first menu, the screen flashes rapidly between fullscreen and a smaller screen occupying the top left of my monitor area. this continues itno the game and, as you can guess is quite irritating when trying to aim my plasma rifle.
I am running windows service pack 2 and i'm unsure of the specs of my graphics but all the dxdiag tests come back ok.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

wolfie3000 22:22 06 Jun 2007

First thing is to fiond out your gfx card and if the drivers are upto date,

Also it might help to lower the settings in game.

crysta1s1ayer99 09:27 07 Jun 2007

Is there a simple way of finding out my graphics card details without opening up my computer?
I know that it is motherboard based but I have no idea how much memory it has or anything

Thanks again...

keef66 15:20 08 Jun 2007

if by motherboard based you mean it's onboard graphics I'm not surprised it won't run Halo. You'll need a reasonable separate graphics card.

Can you tell us the spec / make of the pc, and preferably what motherboard it has?

Start / programs / accessories / system tools / system info might tell you something about it.

gudgulf 16:28 08 Jun 2007

Make sure you have the latest patches for the game.....loads on click here

And try this fix for SP2 click here

crysta1s1ayer99 18:44 08 Jun 2007

Ok, Here goes. my display adapter is a Via/S3G unichrome pro IG3 with 64 MGB Ram, 1280 x 1024 x 60 resolution, and 32 bits/pixel.
My motherboard info doesn't seem available.
I'll try the patches and updating my drivers, then I'll post back. Once again... Many thanks for all your time and help

gudgulf 19:00 08 Jun 2007

If you have a VIA/S3G onboard graphics adapter then that changes things.......Have a look at click here and scroll down to the list of UNSUPPORTED graphics adapters you will find the VIA/S3G listed there.

Even if you can get the game to run your graphics chip will really struggle.

wolfie3000 19:10 08 Jun 2007

Looks like a new GFX card is in order,

But well worth getting as Halo CE is the best game on the planet.

crysta1s1ayer99 19:30 08 Jun 2007

GODDAMMIT!

Ah well, I'm more than willing to upgrade if I can get Halo working. Halo is indeed the best game around.

Of course, I could just risk epilepsy by playing with a flashing screen.........

.....nah, I'm not that tight, or that stupid.

What can I say, everyone who has replied to this post, you are all awesome and thank you for all your help.
I'll be back if I ever get any future problems.

P.S. Anyone ever play a fantasy RPG called Neverend?
It doesn't run at all on my PC. I'll have a look at the incompatible graphics cards on there now I know what I'm looking 4.

Ta folks

crysta1s1ayer99 19:54 08 Jun 2007

ok, here's a random question.. if I buy a new graphicas card for a PCI slot, will it automatically override the onboard graphics??

it should disable the on board automatically and you just update the drivers, so you will see a ram increase after you upgrade

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone