Half Life 2 offline

daeburndave 17:33 16 Dec 2004

Help! My grandson has been playing HL 2 for 3 weeks now and doing really well: as anyone out there who has or is playing this game will know you have to register an account with Steam to be able to play it and by checking the box ' remember my password' it can be played offline: all has gone well for weeks but now he cannot activate the offline mode and therefore cannot play the game: he is driving me mad! Ive spent hours browsing the Steam website tried all their so called 'solutions' downloaded all latest updates visited all the forums etc but to no avail. What a waste of money when all he wants to do is to finish this b... game! The answer might be quite simple but so far it has eluded me. Can anyone help me have a happy Christmas?

Starfox 18:07 16 Dec 2004

Assuming he has not lost the password then you can try and re-load the steam setup from the installation disc but DO NOT try this if you have forgotten the password.

iscanut 18:11 16 Dec 2004

Don't know if this is any consolation, but I had this problem and solved it by going on line before firing up the game and re-entering my log in info, name/password. All was OK again after that.
The other way is to make sure your saved game files are backed up then uninstall the game and then reinstall it by using the original log on info...Don't know if this is any help.

iscanut 18:15 16 Dec 2004

PS..the saved games will be in..

Valve/Steam/Steam Apps/"user name"/half-life2/hl2/save

Starfox 18:19 16 Dec 2004

Either method should get you a happy grandson,post back if not.

daeburndave 20:36 16 Dec 2004

Starfox and Nuts

Thks guys (or gals) for these suggestions: I will try them out and report back the results.

thks again

daeburndave 18:37 17 Dec 2004

I am sitting here thinking about what to say about this game and Steam without relapsing into hysteria. Its now nearly 6.20pm and Ive been bug...ing about since 8.30 this morning trying to even get this game to start let alone load up: Saved files became corrupted and lost, each time Steam asked for a new registration and CD Key which I gave it it then told me the Key was already registered but would not let me continue without giving it the Key again... and on and on..
I have never seen so many error messages flag up and Ive been playing with computers for over 15 years: Ive yet to tell my grandson he has to start again! Personally, I will never buy any game associated with Valve/Steam ever again. What a waste of 30 quid and I think it is an unmitigated disaster and a rip-off. One part of todays exercise took 168 minutes just to ' up-date Half-life 2 files'. If any one out there has a save file at the point where Gordon Freeman is on a road blocked with cars trying to shoot down the gunship, with a detailed explanation of how to load it into this game, I might regain my sanity when I next see my grandson. In the meantime I'm pretending to have gone to Lapland to buy his Christmas present.

Starfox 19:14 17 Dec 2004

Afraid your'e not alone,take a look at this click here

iscanut 21:08 17 Dec 2004

I have emailed you....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?