hal.dll

Rent 16:47 01 Sep 2009

Got the dreaded message at start up "File mising or corrupt Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. I'm not able to boot the system up at all. When I boot from a Win XP start up disc I get to A:\ but cannot get the pc to recognise a c: drive - it says the drive name is invalid. I have a Mesh PC which came with one sata hard drive and later added a second sata drive which the system recognised as F:. I believe the Raid configuration was 1+0 and when I added the second drive I didn't change any configuration settings, just let windows discover the new drive. This has worked fine for about 4 years. Don't understand Raid configuration so not sure whether I now need to change any settings to allow me to see my drives.
I'm trying to find out the reason for the current failure, eg is it due to a faoled drive, failed motherboard, virus, etc. Hope someone can help.

jimv7 16:49 01 Sep 2009

Disconnect the 2nd drive and try again.

Rent 17:00 01 Sep 2009

I've tried that jimv7 without success.

crosstrainer 17:02 01 Sep 2009

Did Mesh supply a copy of your operating system?

Rent 17:12 01 Sep 2009

Yes, I got a recovery disc which has windows on it. I've tried to boot from it without success.

woodchip 20:25 01 Sep 2009

you could try this boot cd with tools on it that may help. looks like the pratition is corrupt if it cannot find c;\ click here

woodchip 20:26 01 Sep 2009

partition not pratition

brundle 20:28 01 Sep 2009

There are no SATA drivers on the XP boot disk to enable it to see the HD's - you need to get the SATA drivers from the manufacturer and put them on a floppy, stick the floppy in when you see the "Press F6 to install a third-party driver" message when booting from the XP CD.

Rent 20:57 01 Sep 2009

Thanks Woodchip and Brundle, I'll try both options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?