hal dll file missing

sugarbabe 16:57 08 Feb 2007

trying to mend a pc that won't start up. i haveused a bootdisk floppy disc and it then comes up with error hal dll file missing and cannot boot.

I cannot get into safe mode or command prompt.

I have copied the hal.dll file onto a floppy disc but cannot get it on broken pc.

It is a dell pc tried to use restore disc and it comes up with error unbootable mount volume.

Please help!!

VoG II 17:00 08 Feb 2007
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 08 Feb 2007

UNMOUNTABLE-BOOT-VOLUME
click here

sugarbabe 17:21 08 Feb 2007

I don't think either of those posts help me as i cannot get to dos command. I can get to fdisk with one of the bootdisks i have made but it then gives me 4 options i do not understand.

Delete partition etc please help!!

ianeon 17:44 08 Feb 2007

click here - Try this thread

T0SH 17:45 08 Feb 2007

If you download and make the floppy XP six disk Setup Set from here click here

This will allow you to boot to the XP Recovery Consol from there you can use the fixes described in the above posts

Cheers HC

cocteau48 18:26 08 Feb 2007

I am the source of the thread which ianeon directs you to above.
Please be very wary of replacing the hal.dll file.My friend discovered (to his cost and horror) that the one you can download is only something like 76 KB whereas the one in XP is about 126 KB.
He did not notice this at the time - result BSOD

sugarbabe 18:42 08 Feb 2007

Ideally i want to do windows restore as i have the cd but when i restart with cd in doesn't boot from cd. When i go to boot menu on the dell machine it has options about raid but nothing that i recognise. it is a dell dimension 9100 with windows home edition installed

surfmonkey #:@}© 18:44 08 Feb 2007

reboot pc on first screen tit del key goto bios set first boot to cd then hit f10 yes save reboot pc should boot from cd

surfmonkey #:@}© 18:45 08 Feb 2007

sorry not tit ment hit typing to fast agian

surfmonkey #:@}© 18:53 08 Feb 2007

you could try

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?