Had Trojan- safe now?

symphony 19:46 12 Mar 2010

Hi
Kapersky detected a Trojan and I'm worried it still may have effects. Kapersky dosen't detect the trojan anymore (I've ran updated security about 20 times since!)Spybot detects nothing either. So I assume it's gone.

I'm worried because I fear (nothing to substantiate except the occasional dialling up of own accord)that I'm now more vulnerable online- will the trojan have opened up my computer to further attacks by messing with setttings?
Please help, I'm quite concerned to put it mildly.

SJM_81 19:48 12 Mar 2010

I would like to know the answer to this too. Ive just removed a Trojan gen?

mfletch 19:53 12 Mar 2010

I dont think there is a 100% assurance that the computer is clean but all I can suggest is running as many of the free scanners you can to get a 2nd 3rd etc check

Malwarebytes and superantispyware plus HitmanPro

Are the best

symphony 20:18 12 Mar 2010

I tried to download the free anti-malwares however something is stopping me downloading them, it says download completed but when I look there's nothing in the comp to install. Is this the action of a trojan?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:24 12 Mar 2010

Yes could be, however do you know where you have downloaded to?

mfletch 20:33 12 Mar 2010

You need to download MBAM Malwarebytes Antimalware but as you cannot get on any security site to download it I’ve uploaded it the my file sharing site so you can download it .

I’ve also renamed it rabbits foot.exe so it will install. {unzip first}

click here

Install MBAM {rabbits foot.exe and update it,

Then do a quick scan,

If MBAM will not run after the install then do this,

Go to the MBAM program folder here
C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware {double click the folder}

rename mbam.exe to rabbits foot.exe
double click on rabbits foot.exe to start MBAM.
scan.. remove detected items...once clear you can rename the executable file back to mbam.exe

symphony 22:39 12 Mar 2010

Hi Fruitbat. They usually go straight to desktop. Downloads window comes up blank immediately (no pause to install it) and there's no green bar loading up.

rdave13 23:05 12 Mar 2010

Try booting up to safe mode with internet connection. Tapping F8, or F5 on some computers, will eventually bring the screen up to select the choice.
Then download and install malwarebytes and also download and install Superantispyware; click here
Run both programs in full mode.
Start with MBAM then SAS.
Once SAS has run full scan it will ask to reboot. Do so.
On rebooting run another MBAM full scan as it is in ordinary mode MBAM works best.

symphony 10:16 13 Mar 2010

Hi all.
I tried all the F keys and it didn't activate safe mode. Tried downloading anti malware programmes like some of you have suggested but they seem to disappear- a blank Downloads screen and no green bar for downloading progress.

symphony 16:01 14 Mar 2010

Hi all, I'm still stuck with this problem as nothing I tried worked. I've tried multiple times to download the scanners but no success! Do you have any more suggestions please?

mfletch 16:38 14 Mar 2010

Use another computer to load this onto a USB stick,

SAS scanner click here
Download click here

Then insert it in the infected computer and run a scan,

It will run from the USB stick

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?