Hacked By SAX LI

David4637 14:30 15 Feb 2009

I had this appear on IE6 as a web page, using the F*** word, when I browsing the net. I used Acronis to restore the OS (XP)to before this happened.
I would like to know what would have been the problem if I had let it go "unchallenged."
Thanks very much David

Terry Brown 15:01 15 Feb 2009

I asume you were looking for a SEX page for reasons of your own, unfortunatly (or fortunatly- depending on your view), there are a lot of links to thse pages, some are designed to draw you into a pay route or use links to get access to your private data

With all surfing, you are in control, and what you search for is your own business, and any problems you encounter are your own problem.
Terry

David4637 14:11 16 Feb 2009

I was surfing on 7dayshop.com for HDMI cables and all of a sudden this page appeared, I don't surf for sex, and have never done so.

I would be interested to know how this happened, because I don't open OE6 attachments or go to dubious web sites?
Thanks David

brundle 16:06 16 Feb 2009

All kinds of websites are routinely hacked, and sigs sometimes left behind to show the "skill" of the perpetrator. You happened to stumble across one. Pages are hacked in a more subtle manner by criminals to take you to sites which install unwanted software on your machine;

click here
click here
for two examples

Make sure your browser, OS and antivirus application are up to date, and use common sense.

If the page was on 7dayshop's site it would be a good idea to inform them.

gazzaho 16:27 16 Feb 2009

Is there any way you could update to IE7, or rather any reason you can't? IE6 is known to be full of security flaws and from what I've read some companies, I believe PayPal is one refuse to allow the use of it. If IE7 presents problems then you could try Firefox as an alternative.

David4637 20:29 16 Feb 2009

Thanks both for your replies, I will consider taking some action. Thanks again David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?