Hacked?

thefuse 09:38 09 Oct 2005

i was using a forum and debating with one guy in particular who decided to prove to me that he could hack my computer.
He said that one of my ports was open and two others were exposed. he said look at the new entry under HKCU for proof.
How do i check the registry for a new entry and how do i close the ports he was talking about? Would it be things like Msn messenger?

AndySD 09:41 09 Oct 2005

Are you using a firewall ?
What ports did he say?

thefuse 09:45 09 Oct 2005

he said port 59 and two others exposed
im using windows firewall

AndySD 09:59 09 Oct 2005

There are some programs that use Port 59 (and some trojans)

Windows firewall is not the best. Try using a free one like Zone Alarm Free instead. click here

thefuse 10:01 09 Oct 2005

So if i use Msn messenger does that mean I'm open to hackers? I didnt realise that before.

ACOLYTE 10:59 09 Oct 2005

Using MSN doesn't make you any more susceptible to hackers than you were without it.If s1 really wanted in your pc they could do it whether you had MSN or not.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:24 09 Oct 2005

click here to test your machine for open ports.

Firewalls :-
Filesclab click here
Jetico click here
Kerio4 click here
Netveda click here
Nrt firewall 2.0.1 click here
Outpost free click here
R-firewall click here
Securepoint click here
Softperfect click here
Sygate click here
Wyvernworks click here
ZoneAlarm click here

thefuse 11:41 09 Oct 2005

i've installed zone alarm firewall and it came up with the file that i presumed he had put in there, called sam.dll.
there was another one called sam.srv
has anyone heard of either of these things or know what he could do with them while they are in there?
i tried to uninstall them and it said access denied

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:47 09 Oct 2005

The person is talking utter rubbish. He has no chance of hacking your computer and nor has anyone else. He is obviously 7 years old or 45 and still living in his mothers' cellar The file is a security file for card reader recognition.....click here

Your ports are open all the time as you need them open to connect to the net. Ports can be 'stealthed' but this is also cobblers as the ports are still there. If the forum contains half-wits like the above guy I would not even bother going there as you will learn nothing but utter rubbish.

G

thefuse 11:56 09 Oct 2005

I'm a bit confused now. Gandalf says he has no chance of hacking my computer but Acolyte says if they want to get in they can.
I ran the port checker and it said my pc was well hidden but is it possible that this guy has installed something to enable him access or not?

AndySD 12:23 09 Oct 2005

Its very unlikely that he put anything on your pc. If you have an up to date virus checker run it. It should pick anything up and remove it. It sounds to me (like Gandelf says) that he was winding you up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?