guest book hijacked problems

Annieruk 15:58 17 Feb 2006

Hi I have been running my site with a cut and paste html guest book for serveral years, at the end of last year it became hijacked and has been filled up with drug ads, has anyone else had this problem can anyone offer advice on how to stop it.

quack 20:59 17 Feb 2006

Contact the company that hosts your guestbook and tell them what is happening. Let them sort it.

Forum Editor 21:38 17 Feb 2006

unless you change the format so that your guest-book is pre-moderated. That means that each entry is submitted to you off-line, and you check it before uploading it.

Frankly that's a pain, and makes the whole idea of a guest-book unworkable. You can carry on as you are, and hope that the phantom spammer goes away, but once they get your address-book location they tend to keep on and on. Delete the entries and they will almost certainly reappear - I've had the same problems with some clients' open discussion forums.

DrScott 22:38 17 Feb 2006

I'm sure FE is right on this. Even blocking an IP address or name is rather tricky. Somtimes you can set up filters for certain words or phrases, but I'm not sure that would block the whole message.

I suggest perhaps setting up a different guestbook on a different server?

DrScott 17:53 18 Feb 2006

The guestbook service I use insists that posters copy some numbers into an input box which are displayed as a picture, thereby preventing bots from sending spam. I don't know the code that makes this work, but I'm sure it's available somewhere.

The guestbook on the site i manage is from a free company, but it'll give you the general idea of what I'm saying: click here

quack 07:47 20 Feb 2006

I use Guestbooks on 3 sites I manage and the company I use is also free click here

grumpy-git 16:49 22 Feb 2006

My guestbook is a standard one (cgi) with 1&1 that comes with a hosting package.

All my entries have to be approved, so nobody ever sees them, but it is a pain to have to delete the entiies, usually 1 or 2 a day.

g-g

vinnyo123 01:53 23 Feb 2006

extra protection

this might help read on

click here

Annieruk 10:14 23 Feb 2006

I would like to thank all of you that took the time to reply to my thread. I have now sorted a new guest book where all entries have to be approved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?