GSA-4163B DVD Drive not reading any discs

frostysnowman 10:20 28 Apr 2008

I currently have 2 optical drives in my PC. The lst connected to secondary Master is the GSA-4163B DVD RAM drive. The 2nd connected to secondary Slave is the GDR-8163B DVD-ROM drive. The 2nd drive works fine but the lst one will not read or burn any discs. If a disc is inserted the green light flashes for a while but nothing shows in 'My Computer' to show the disc details just the icon for the drive (This sometimes shows 'CD Drive' and sometimes 'DVD RAM'. If I click on the icon for the drive the screen opens but shows no disc details. I have also used Nero Info Tool and this shows 'no disc inserted'. I have also noticed that when inserting the disc into the drive that when I open the tray again the disc is in the exact same position as when I inserted it (It does not appear to have rotated). In Device Manager no problems are found. Any advice on this appreciated.

xania 10:52 28 Apr 2008

Try re-allocating first drive to master secondary.

frostysnowman 09:20 29 Apr 2008

Thanks for your reply.
If my drive is faulty and needs to be replaced I am wondering what I do with regards to my Image file of my hard drive.
I currently use Norton Ghost and my recovery image has the suspected faulty DVD drive on this image. If I need to use this image in the future will it automatically detect the new replacement DVD drive and update the device manager accordingly. Any advice on this appreciated.

xania 08:45 01 May 2008

This should not be a problem, but, if you are still worried, create a new one Image disc once you have your new DVD player installed, as a second back-up.

frostysnowman 11:07 06 Jun 2008

Thanks for all your replies.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone