grungling on in the background

Victoria 11:46 16 Jun 2010

I have borrowed my husbands computer - Dell Inspiron 9300 (another story about mine will be on the forum)
a. dont know how to find which windows system it is running
b. it is obvious that there is all sorts of stuff going on in the background. Assusming he does a defrag at regualr intervals, can someone tell us how to find out what is loading at startup pleaseu

gengiscant 12:02 16 Jun 2010

If you go 'start' 'run' and type in msconfig , then the 'startup' tab ,that should give you a good idea of what programs are starting when you boot the PC.

onthelimit 12:02 16 Jun 2010

Start, Run - type msconfig, enter then click the startup tab. Most can be unticked (except antivirus), but check with somewhere like click here

onthelimit 12:02 16 Jun 2010

fingers too slow again!

woodchip 14:11 16 Jun 2010

For the OS its running right click my computer then properties

Victoria 14:34 16 Jun 2010

thanks everyone - I will have a look (although far be it for me that I delete owt)

gengiscant 17:20 16 Jun 2010

You will not be deleting 'owt' just stopping it from starting when the PC boots up. As 'onthelimit' says most can be unchecked which should speed up start up and if your husband wants them to start right away, it is a simple matter of just re-checking the program in msconfig.

Victoria 18:27 16 Jun 2010

thanks guys - I will put it to him although I was surprised how little is in the startup - nothing that would warrant the continual hard work that seems to be going on

woodchip 18:46 16 Jun 2010

Anti-Virus may be doing a disc scan when it starts up

T I M B O 18:50 16 Jun 2010

To find out what exactly is starting up that does not appear in the msconfig or the task manager you need go no further. System internals that's part of Microsoft have software for you to investigate if you so wish>> click here

Process explorer on the left.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017