Greetings workshop installing problem

jason.p 22:47 15 Mar 2009

Can anyone please advise on an installation problem with Greetings Workshop installation. I've been trying to install from the original disc onto my upgraded PC which is now running XP pro, and am getting error messages:
"Could not initialise GWUTIL.dll"
and:
"I am having trouble with a database"

I know this is an old programme which originally came with Win 95, but it seemed to work on my previous set-up with XP home.
Is there any way round this, or can anyone suggest a suitable alternative.
Thanks in advance.

woodchip 23:44 15 Mar 2009

You could try copy the CD to Desktop, then start in safe Mode and run the Setup File in the Desktop Copy

Graphicool1 14:25 16 Mar 2009

I found this on a Web search...

"You have Greetings Workshop?

You can run Greetings Workshop in Windows XP or Windows Vista Basic if you run Windows XP or Windows Vista Basic as Virtual PC sessions with the proper settings. Virtual PC lets me 'dial in' the memory available to the OS.

For Windows XP:
set memory size to 786mb or less works, set to 787mb or greater does not work.

For Windows Vista Basic:
set memory size to 903mb or less works, set to 904mb or greater does not work.

You do not need to use any compatibility settings with Greetings Workshop... just control the amount of memory available to the OS. I have no idea why this works, but this does explain issues like "I upgraded my Windows XP computer and now Greetings Workshop no longer runs".

Best of luck... I have no idea why this fixes the problem, but am happy to say that I now have a new solution to an old problem."

Clapton is God 14:39 16 Mar 2009

This seems to expand on the above explanation click here

Alternatively, if you have MS Publisher, why not use that instead?

jason.p 18:30 16 Mar 2009

Thanks a lot for replies. I'll give them a try and let you know how I get on.

jason.p 20:52 16 Mar 2009

Just set up the memory mod thingy and it works a treat!! 'er indoors will be well chuffed!
Many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?