Green Shift on Photo Glossy Paper

Pesala 17:30 17 Oct 2004

f I print black text (address cards) on my Epson C80 using Xerox Glossy Photo paper, with a photo glossy setting, print as black. The resulting text is green. I scanned the output to check and these are the RGB values of a few pixels: 88:100:95 85:105:100 231:226:218

Printing on plain paper with the plain paper setting the text is black.

I could use a plain paper setting, but then the printer may lay down too much ink. I'm curious as to why the results are like this. Is it due to poor quality compatible cartridges and why should the paper setting make so much difference?

This is an enlarged scan of a small piece of the text: click here

Wak 18:55 17 Oct 2004

Hi, I have found that changing the paper setting from PLAIN to GLOSSY can make a big difference to the colour/density output of the printer.
I think the printer manufacturers allow for the different absorption rate of the various papers.
For what it's worth I always leave the printer set to PLAIN paper even when using GLOSSY photo paper. At least the colour output remains constant for me that way.
Try using all the different paper settings provided by the printer with the same image (photo or text) while still using PLAIN paper in the printer and you will be able to see differences in the printed images.

woodchip 19:10 17 Oct 2004

No it's the colour file that need's changing for glossy paper. Go Start\Setting\printers right click the printer that you are having the problem with, click Properties click colour management, click add it will bring up colour files you can right click and have a\ look at the properties but if you can open the file it will tell you if it's for gloss paper you can try any, and remove them if they do not work as expected.

woodchip 19:13 17 Oct 2004

PS if you have a Epson look at the Files starting with "E" etc depending on your printer

Pesala 19:14 17 Oct 2004

and it worked fine. Cannot understand why the colour should change though when printing in black, even if the paper is not very absorbent.

Pesala 19:30 17 Oct 2004

I found the colour profile in \windows\system\color and in my printer driver properties. I don't see why it should even be used if I am printing in black.

If you look at the scan, some pixels have a noticeable green hue. Anyway, problem solved. Ignore photo glossy settings for photo glossy paper.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?