A GREAT DEAL ? Sony Vaio PCV RX 407

Novis 23:53 17 Jun 2003

I've been offered a tower: SONY Vaio TCV RX 407 2.53 GH for £800, 512MG RAm; 120 GB Hard Drive with a DVD Rewriter &c .. I can't find it on the Sony Website - anyone know anything about it - is it a deleted model (when was it first released?)

With no documentation and possibly out of warranty is it such a good deal for someone with no knowledge of maintaining computers such as myself?

Am I right to think that even if I were able to download the pre-loaded MS Windows XP onto a disk I couldn't be able to reload it without a serial number that would come with the documentation?

So - Is it really such a good deal - or likely to be more trouble that its worth if things go wrong?

Any advice / suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks - Novis

fitshase 10:20 18 Jun 2003

Looking on Dabs.com, they are selling a Sony Vaio RS123:-

Pentium 4 2.66GHz
256MB RAM
80 GB Hard Drive
DVD RW
CD-ROM
XP Home

for £680.32.

It has slightly less memory and hard disk space but those can be bought relatively cheaply.

The main advantage would be you would have a brand new machine with a full warranty from a company with a good reputation.

Regards

Fitshase

fitshase 10:27 18 Jun 2003

Just done a bit of searching and found, as you suspected, the Sony Vaio RX407 is now discontinued click here

If you are looking to spend that sort of money, I would look around on the net as there are many brands of PC that would be within that price range - especially if you are only looking for a base system and no monitor.

If you are still set on a Sony Vaio then I would go for the model in my last post and save a bit of cash.

Regards

Fitshase

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone