The Great British Wireless rip off

Jaminist 14:34 21 Jun 2008

Ok, I just changed all my gear over to wireless and installed a Belkin F5D8231UK4 802.11n router and a 802.11n card in my laptop hoping to get the advertised 300 mbps or pretty close to it.

However, this is not possible in the UK! The most you will get is 130 mbps. This is because for 802.11n to work to it's full speed you have to run it on the 5 ghz (40 mhz) frequency and not the 2.4 Ghz (20 Mhz) frequency, but this is prohibited in the UK due to radio frequency laws.

I investigated and read reviews for about a week solid before deciding on the Belkin model and nowhere did it mention this, all the router manufacturers make wild claims saying that you can get up to 300 mbps. But all of the manufacturers limit their UK based routers and disable the 5 Ghz facility. I knoe the get out clause for them is the 'up to' statement but I think they should be more revealing with the facts.

They don't tell you this though. Nowhere on the packaging or in the manual does it say limited to 130 mbps in the UK. Surely this is false advertising as they are making claims that are physically impossible.

What do you guys think? Have any of you experienced this as well? Do any of you have a full 802.11n network running at full speed? If so, what gear are you using? Or have I just made a complete ar$e of myself and got it all wrong?

I have spoken to Belkin and PC World (The supplier) and neither of them want to know. I feel an email to watchdog coming on. Lol

I want the speed for transferring movies to my laptop from my main pc and not for internet access as I know that 130 mbps is more than enough to cope with my 20mb internet connection.

This will be an interesting one to follow!

P.S. Sorry to moan so much for my first post :-)

The Moog 15:17 21 Jun 2008

I get a steady 270Mbps on a standard, 'out of the box' configuration using my Netgear DG834N and WN121T(Desktop) and WN511B (Laptop) adapters.
click here

Occasionally that will drop but that's just the nature of the wireless beast.

Jaminist 15:32 21 Jun 2008

And you are based in the UK?...Hmmm interesting me thinks. I feel a trip back to PC World coming on

Jaminist 15:41 21 Jun 2008

Are you getting that speed running at 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone