Graphics Upgrade Problem

jaycup 15:36 28 Oct 2010

Trying to upgrade the graphics card on my daughter's computer so that my grandson can play the new DR.Who Adventure games. I have installed a more powerful AGP Card, namely; Sapphire Radeon 1650 Pro with 256MB memory. this is the same card as the one in my own computer, except, that mine's is a PCI-E card. The games run without problem on my machine. I had problems with the install until I realised that this card has an auxiliary power connection which I solved by connecting a 'floppy drive' power connector.
The system boots up ok and the BIOS gives me a clear 'beep' but it hangs at the final Bios screen and will not boot into Windows. On the first boot up with the Card in place I got a message on the final Bios screen as follows "updated ECDS successfully". Further attempts to boot into Windows failed as described but this message was not repeated.

Computer Spec. Asus Motherboard A7V600-X; AMD Athlon 2.8 processor; DDR 400 Memory (1.5Gb.)
The hard drive has only got 11Gb. of data. Operating System Windows XP Pro SP3.

I am unable to solve this problem and have been 'advised' that the card is too much for the Motherboard but I find this hard to believe. I should mention that the card was bought S/H but seems to be in immaculate condition.

I have updated the M/B drivers including the Bios. One thing I did notice was that the 250 Mb. of memory on the card is marked as DDR3 but since this is an integral element of the card I did not think this would have a bearing.

I need to know if I am wasting my time in persevering, so if anyone can help I would be extremely obliged.

T0SH 16:41 28 Oct 2010

Put the old card back in the PC boot up to a desktop then set the screen resolution to 640 x 480 or the lowest setting it will permit apply and yes to accept the change, then go into device manager and expand Display adapters then right click and choose uninstall it will ask you to reboot refuse this and choose to shut the computer down

Next replace the graphics card with the new one and boot up to a desktop from where you can install the drivers for the new card

Cheers HC

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?