Graphics Upgrade for an Older Computer (2003 era)

playhardgopro 19:15 28 Mar 2008

The Computer

Bought in 2003.

AMD Athlon XP 2100+ at 1.74 GHz

512 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

360 watt PSU

ASUS A7V333 Motherboard

The Goal

To upgrade at minimum cost, effort and technical complexity, so that I can play some of the better games I’ve missed over the past five years.

I understand it probably can’t be made to play current games without extensive work and that is fine. I can afford a new PC next year – for now I’d just like to play through Half-Life 2!

If I can get away with just upgrading the GFX card, this would suit me, as anything more would be beyond my comfort zone.

So I’d love to know:

1. What cards my set-up would support without upgrading anything, and;

2. If I could get a much better card that would only require simple upgrades to the rest of the system (such as some more RAM, or maybe a PSU) – remember, I’m not very technical and have never upgraded a PC…

I’d probably prefer to stick with Nvidia as I’ve been pleased with them in the past.

Thanks very much!

STREETWORK 19:30 28 Mar 2008

Without replacing the PC, you are limited to an AGP card, they do not make many now but you can get a 'bridged' version that will allow a PCI card to insert into an older AGP slot, in fact see PCA reviews...

STREETWORK 19:31 28 Mar 2008

PS-go for a RAM upgrade first to say 1gb

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:46 28 Mar 2008

Memory is easier to fit than a card

Takes DDR333 (PC2700) add another 512 to make 1Gig (not worth going higher)

Your board has an AGP Pro slot click here

a normal AGP card will work in these slots but must have a registration tab click here normal cards are much cheaper than the Pro cards for minimal difference.
Cost will be the factor governing your choice of card just google for Nvidia AGP Cards.

playhardgopro 20:05 28 Mar 2008

Thanks guys - so I should be taking a look for cheap, AGP Pro card?

Is this any good for me:

click here

or am I getting the wrong idea?

Thanks

STREETWORK 20:52 28 Mar 2008

This will work, but also consider the RAM upgrade...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?