Graphics Upgrade for a CROSSFIRE setup please

nrobbo 23:02 03 Jan 2008

Hi all thanks for looking at this post.im new to using forums etc but hope you will bare with me…yes I did make a few iccups in the 1st posting re the wrong terms used..i.e. sli/crossfire and ive amended the post accordingly I think. so Im looking for some ideas suggestions for an upgrade to the graphics part of my rig please.
Below you will find my set up as it is at the moment >>>>>

Intel Pentium D 3Ghz Processor Dual Core 2mb Cache
4 GB Ram DDR2 667MHz
2 x 36.7GB 10.000 RPM SATA H/DRIVES 36GB Western Digital Raptor in RAID Level 0 setup for windows only PARTITIONED 20GBsystem/50GBstorage
click here
2 x 250gb SATA western digital h/drives as storage only
Graphics card = NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GT GV-NX78T256V-B PCI-EXPRESS…non crossfire card.
click here
Motherboard GA-G1975X…crossfire compatible.
click here
Thermaltake Water Cooled VB5001SNA Tai-Chi Super Midi Tower - Aluminium
click here
500W Power supply

The system was built for and still is used for photography/video editing etc. I just recently purchased a sony bravia KDL-40S2530 lcd TV and after borrowing a Xbox 360 was so impressed by the gaming + Xbox it is responsible for rekindling my gaming interest . But instead of buying an Xbox to reduce extra stuff under the TV, decided to link pc to my KDL-40S2530 LCD, via the correct video/audio cables. My intention is to use a 10mtr SVGA Ext Cable + stero extension cable…that part all works tried it with the short cables….graphics and sound all worked ok

The card ive been using as worked perfectly for what ive been doin, and been the same when ive played pc games that ive used in the past XPAND RALLY and have just got Blazing Angels Squadrons of WWII and love the game so far hence the upgrade. As this is a one off upgrade and wanted to get it right 1st time if I can…What I was looking to do is upgrade the graphics card from the one I have to possibly X 2=256MB OR X 2 = 512MB ATI cards & linking them re CROSSFIRE connection as the m/board supports this function.
Do I need a crossfire setup? Would a single high power ATI/NVIDIA card do the job ? IDEAS PLEASE.
Im also aware of the PSU issues if I do go the crossfire route and would have to up the power..i was thinking around 800w…is ther any out ther that are reasonably quiet…?? If I stay with single card 512mb/768mb….will 500w be enough?
MY CONSIDERATIONS.
The card I have is fan cooled. I do understand the higher spec cards generate heat etc etc but I would like to cut down the noise if possible in this area…I can hear the fan from the graphics card above all…are there any of the silentpipe card type that do the job ? I will consider extra cooling kits for the new cards and am leaning towards water cooled,maybe linking it in with the water system I have already…if it means getting a reduction in noise…what are my options? Have I missed anything that needs looking at ? which water blocks are best. ?
QUESTIONS
1…what cards do the job?
2…what extra cooling kits go with the cards mentioned
3…ideally I want ideas for kit that people are using that will go into my system.
4…256MB OR 512MB Cards….which is the better long term solution

I hope it all makes sense and I have explained it clearly enough for you guys and gals to help….thanks for the help and look forward to the replies…and questions I’ll get no doubt.
Where possible can replies please include links to the kit that’s mentioned in the replies please.

A big thank you….regards…..Neil

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?