Graphics upgrade

jerica 16:48 19 Nov 2010

Hi, I've got a Asus P5K SE motherboard with an Intel core2 quad and a Ge Force 8500GT graphics card and I want to upgrade the graphics card. Does anyone know of a site that will tell you what fits what, ie, put in the model of MB and it tells you which graphics card will work. Thanks.

GaT7 16:55 19 Nov 2010

If you let me know these details, I can tell you what which one will be suitable:

1. You PC usage - will you be playing any 3D games?

2. Your power supply make & model number or wattage.

3. The size & shape of your PC case (e.g. slim-type or low-profile cases will only be able to house low-profile graphics cards).

I know that a Asus P5K SE will accept PCI-E graphics cards, so that's one detail taken care of. G

gengiscant 16:59 19 Nov 2010

Specs for your motherboard click here as you are wanting to upgrade your graphics card,is this because you are a gamer?

jerica 10:42 20 Nov 2010

Case 16" depth, 17" high and 7" wide, games and other stuff, not sure about the power supply ,It's running 4GB of ram two x 320 GB hard drives plus a few other odds and sods so I'm assuming it's up for the job.

GaT7 13:55 20 Nov 2010

That looks to be an ATX case, so a standard height GPU should fit.

Also tell us these case measurements click here. The horizontal line is where the graphics card will go, so measure over the PCI-E slot.

What games will you be playing (specific ones), your monitor's native resolution & your budget. These will tell us which GPUs you could consider & narrow down the choice.

If you don't know the PSU details, open your case & have a close look. This is very important as you may need a new one depending on the GPU you choose. So your budget may need to factor one in. And last of all, measure the PSU & tell us its dimensions in cm/mm. G

jerica 15:12 21 Nov 2010

Sorry for the delay. OK the power unit is 550watt, 10amp. The measurements are 20cm horizontal and 10cm height. Monitor working at 1440 x 900 and games like Rise of Flight and the upcoming Storm of War and such. Budget between £50 and £100, probably asking a lot for such a low budget but times is hard.

GaT7 15:35 21 Nov 2010

For your budget, PSU, games, space & resolution a ATI HD 5750 should do nicely I think - a selection at click here (there are a few 5670 cards to begin, but ignore them).

Couple of reviews click here & click here.

Just one small concern - does your PSU have a 6pin (or 6+2) PCI-E power connector? It looks like click here (6pin) or click here (6+2pin) & will fit into this slot click here on the card. If not, but it has at least 2 free molex connectors (the usual IDE drive ones like click here), then you'll need this converter cable click here. G

GaT7 15:40 21 Nov 2010

'The measurements are 20cm horizontal and 10cm height.'

Are there any add-on cards below the PCI-E slot covering the 10cm height? If yes, then they may need to be moved lower down to accommodate the new GPU's cooler or give it a bit more 'breathing' space. G

jerica 15:41 21 Nov 2010

Thanks for the info, now I'm pointed in the right direction, thanks again.

GaT7 15:49 21 Nov 2010

OK, no problem. Any related queries, just post below.

Btw, this ATI HD 5770 click here (click here) for a little over £100 will be a better buy, but it may not fit lengthwise? G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?