Graphics Tablets

Michendi 16:32 02 Jul 2005

I want to purchase a new graphics tablet and would appreciate any feedback from the Forum on the good the bad and the ugly of products currently available. Thanks in advance.

wednesday 13 19:02 02 Jul 2005

I recomend buying a desktop PC or laptop(if not already)and buy a seperate tablet. It works out a lot cheaper and still pretty much the same.

€dstowe 19:18 02 Jul 2005

I use these devices professionally. The only brand I would ever give a second look at is Wacom. Others are cheap and/or nasty in comparison.

Unless you are involved on a pro. basis, you do not need a large size tablet - even a lot of my work is done on an A6 size although we do have A2 and A3 sizes available.

kspatto 19:46 02 Jul 2005

I bought a medion tablet from the ALDI it works just fine and is a good size A4 and it was cheap as chips but I dont use it professionally only to edit photos and for graphics I suppose it depends what you use it for

patto

Michendi 09:25 04 Jul 2005

Thanks for your feedback. I do want to use the tablet professionally so quality is paramount.

I have visited the Wacom site but I am still unsure of which product will best suit my needs. Although cost is always a factor, in this instance it is not very important as I assume that I will get at least 5-years use from the tablet so the cost will be written-off over a long period. It is much more important that I select the correct product for now and for the future.

I would really appreciate hearing your views on the suitability (or not!) of specific Wacom models.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.

PsiFox 10:06 04 Jul 2005

Another vote for Wacom tablets. As to which one to get it really is down to the features you require.

€dstowe 10:42 04 Jul 2005

All the Wacoms are built to the samr high standard and, as PsiFox says, it is down to what features you require.

They will easily last 5 years - the stylus tip will probably wear out but these are replaceable and some models are even supplied with spares.

Can I suggest that you start with a small size (A6) and see how you get on with it. That way there is no large expediture (large format models are costly - but worth it if you need that size).

I doubt if a lot of our work could be done without an army of Wacom tablets - it would certainly take a lot longer.

Remeber also that some models are supplied with a cordless mouse to use on the pad or, the stylus itself can be used like a mouse.

Michendi 13:54 04 Jul 2005

Thanks to all for feedback. I think I have enough info to make the right choice.

Curio 19:42 04 Jul 2005

the Wacom Intuos 2. A6 size. Comes with Pen and spare 'nibs' and wireless mouse. Have also got a Wacom Volito 2, slightly smaller with no spares or Mouse. A lot cheaper than the Intuos 2, and ideal for a beginner not wanting to spend a lot. Also pens are battery free as is the Mouse.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone