Graphics and sound

Lord Justice 19:49 08 Dec 2006

Hello all,

I have just changed the hard drive and ram on a computer. The computer is a Dell, it is not very new, just to give you an idea it uses SD PC133 RAM and still has PCI slots.

Anyway, first it has a graphics card in one of the pci slots, this will not work when the monitor is plugged in, so i plugged it into the 'on board' one. It takes an age to come on after starting the computer.

First question, the graphics card has no disc, box, anything, and I can't make out from looking at it what one it is. Can anyone help me find this out so I may download the drivers for it?

Next, The sound is not working either, I have no sound card, I do have speakers built into the TFT monitor, all plugged in Ok, but in the system sound settings, it says that no sound device was detected.

I cannot even go into the bios yet as because the monitor just wont do it for some reason, as I say it takes an age for the display to appear after turning on the computer, it is already at the login screen.

Can anyone please help me fix the problem with my graphics so I may then ask for your help again to see what is going on in the bios as to the sound?

Thank you in advance

Kind Regards

Ryan

sil_ver 22:29 08 Dec 2006

You've changed the harddrive so presumably you've reinstalled windows. If this is the case then you will need to install the chipset drivers to get onboard sound working this may also cure your onboard graphics problem. You really need to remove the graphics card before installing windows and let it 'find' the onboard graphics. It also might be an idea to reset CMOS before you start.

Lord Justice 10:05 09 Dec 2006

Thank you for that, i have solved the sound problem by doing as you suggested, I removed the graphics card.

How can i find out what graphics card it is? I seem to remembers some time ago that there was a program that detects the make/model of hardware.
Can anyone please send me the link to this program? I am using the on board graphics and have removed the card, but would like to use the card.

vinnyT 14:32 09 Dec 2006

SIW - System Information for Windows, reveals software and hardware info. click here

Hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?