Graphics software unable to open stored photos for

bboss 12:01 11 Nov 2008

I use Photodraw V2 regularly for editing my pictures. I love it and find it easy to use. I have never had any problems with it until a couple of days ago when it just wouldn't open my files. I tried to use Serif Photoshop 9 and have the same problem there!! Is it Windows that is causing the problem? Have I got a lost or damaged file somewhere? I am puzzled. Can anyone advise me?

MAJ 12:07 11 Nov 2008

Which type of graphics files are you having a problem with, jpeg, gif, etc.?

Right-click on one of the files, choose Properties > General tab and look under the "Opens with" section, see if the correct program is selected to open the file.

bboss 14:43 11 Nov 2008

Thanks for such a prompt response!
99% if my files are jpeg but have always been able to open ANY photo whether it be direct from my camera, a saved document or downloaded from internet. This is what puzzles me and leads me to think the problem lies with Windows XP or my computer itself! (Yikes!!) I am unable to open any photos in Serif Photoshop9 either.
I went through the steps you suggested and the file I chose had the correct program selected.
I appreciate your help.

bboss 10:39 14 Nov 2008

HELP PLEASE!!

*constant whirring noise

*'This program not responding' this message appears on absolutely ANYTHING I try to use.

* Even unable to start conversation on MSN Messenger...it goes into whirring mode and produces big, fat timer symbol which hovers forever and ever until I go to Task Manager ... which then advises me 'This program not responding'!!!!

*unable to open exsisting photo files in either of my graphics programs. (Photodraw v2 and Serif PhotoPlus 9)

Could all of the above be because I need more RAM and if so advice please on where to, how to, etc etc
PC scanning at this precise moment with AVG...(although timed for scheduled scan at 7am!!) Now 11.30am!!! still whirring!!!
I am going out for a while before I lob the complete laptop over the balcony!!
Believe me, any advice will be so appreciated!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?