Graphics Problem with new 8600gts

charloman 22:12 17 Mar 2008

Sup guys.I just bought some new part to build a PC.They include an EVGA 680i sli motherboard,an XFX Geforce 8600gts card and two 1GB sticks of balistix DDR2 RAM and of course an SLI certified 500W PSU.I put everything together and it booted fine with no problems.However, when I try to install XP, I keep getting these multicolored vertical bars or stripes in the middle of the install.They take up the entire screen and I can't see anything else.Any ideas on what may be causing this?

johndrew 14:13 18 Mar 2008

This can be caused by incorrect use of the graphic card memory. I`m not fully conversant with the technical detail but often re-seating both the graphics card and RAM cures it.

Whether a lack of drivers during XP installation can cause this I doubt, but it should be a consideration.

If the problem persists you may have a memory problem in either the card memory or the RAM.

charloman 07:12 14 Apr 2008

Hey, thanks for the response.I found my problem.Hardware computability.Well it's like this,my RAM and Graphics card are fine.The problems is that my motherboard(EVGA 680i Sli) cannot use 45nm processors (e.g. Core 2 Duo E8400,which is the one I have)until you get a bios upgrade.It will work fine with 65nm processors (e.g.E6700).So I'm left with two choices,either sell my board and get the a 780i or find a friend with a 65nm cpu,ugrade my bios with it and then I'll my able to use my cpu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?