graphics help - poor colour and resolution

andre_k 21:37 22 Jan 2008

i have a dell dimension 4550 running xp, and i have a problem. The colour can only be set at 4 bit, and i cant change the resolution. Im using the original nvida graphics card.

In device manager, when i double click on the graphics card, it says there isnt enough resources to run it properly (code 12). i tried to follow the troubleshooter, and clicked on 'view' then 'resources by type' in device manager, then i got lost in a long list of things i didnt fully understand, and didnt understand how and what to change the resource of.

i have tried reinstalling the drivers, and ive removed and replaced the graphics card.

What else could i do?

DieSse 01:28 23 Jan 2008

Try a different graphics card.

Load the latest motherboard drivers, which may have an AGP section.

Look in the BIOS at the graphics aperture setting - what is it set to - 64MB is probably about right.

Is it an nVidia GF4 4200? - how much RAM does it have? - Is there a fan on the graphics card, and still working?

DieSse 01:28 23 Jan 2008

That should read GeF4 Ti4200

andre_k 19:38 23 Jan 2008

its only a 64MB nVidia mx 420.

what do you mean by 'look in the BIOS at the graphics arpeture setting'

there isnt a fan.

not sure if its allowed, but the following are links to pictures taken of various menu screens eg. device manager. it may help...

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

MAJ 19:55 23 Jan 2008

Have you tried these drivers from the Dell website? click here

andre_k 20:10 23 Jan 2008

i havent downloaded them from the dell website as i have no internet on the pc (im on my laptop)

however, i reinstalled the drivers from the drivers cd that came with it, and it is no different

andre_k 20:29 23 Jan 2008

right after removing the 2 ethernet cards, it works fine.

now all i need is the 'net working on there!!!

DieSse 22:05 23 Jan 2008

Put each ethernet card back in, in turns - se if it's one particular card.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?