Graphics cards.In for a penny>>>

tenor 13:10 19 Feb 2003

Are the graphics cards manufacturers taking the liquid bodily waste?O:K:Can
you tell the difference?Frame rates are up to the point where your monitor is slower!On todays games a gf3 is plenty fast enough.The mfrs are relying on people wanting"cutting edge",even though the software does not need it at the moment.Wait until the games are written for the cards,by which time the mfrs will have made a new "cutting edge"card and the old one will be half price.Thoughts?

Gongoozler 13:39 19 Feb 2003

Hi tenor, yes I think to some extent tha manufacturers are taking advantage of the fact that some people will always pay more just to have the latest and fastest technology. Also they tend to create a product and then the software designers will take advantage of it. The same has happened with processors. There are plenty of people who will happily pay over £500 for a 3.06ghz P4, while I would expect to build a complete computer for less than that. Of course those of us who have our feet closer to the ground reap the benefit of this high flying technology by buying products of the specification that was leading-edge a couple of years ago, that is adequate for most applications and at a much more sensible price.

King Diamond 13:40 19 Feb 2003

Try playing Unreal Tournament 3 on a G-force 4 ti4600 on full blast, then try it on the G3 and the difference is something else.

But I generally do agree with you, plus if you have a naff cpu and sdram as well, then your stumped.

When the software catches up with the cards...if it ever will, then we are in for a real treat.

tenor 13:52 19 Feb 2003

My weary old eyes couldnt keep up with ut3 anyway.Sad,innit?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?