Graphics Cards - I'm sooooo confused!

Tachum 10:31 28 Jul 2004

Hi Everyone,

Can someone please advise me on compatible graphics cards for my base unit?

My system will consist of Athlon 64 3000+ cpu, ASUS KV8 Delux sata mobo, 200GB HDD, 512MB Memory (U/g shortly), Pioneer 107 -+ DVD Writer & Lite On DVD Rom running on Windows XP....... but as I am not into games (more into my music) I don't want to buy an OTT card for my ickle unit but I do want a card that will be tops for DVD playback!

The problem for me is I would like to use my computer as a tv too. Do I need to buy a graphics card AND a tv card as well? Would an ATi Radeon 9550 DDR TV DVi be appropriate? What do you reccomend? Also what is the easiest way to record a programme to HDD/Disc? Does it make a difference what monitor I have connected? (Iiyama 431 DVI).

If you hadn't already guessed - yes -
a) I'm a girlie &
b) I haven't got a scooby about these things!

Any help/advice/nice useful things you guys can post would be really appreciated.

Taccy x

jonnytub 11:04 28 Jul 2004

Very good card for what you require and the price, as you said your'e not into games so this card is fine, however even this card should be able to play most games out today, albeit not at full frame rate or resolution, it's more than capable for watching your dvd's back on through your tv as it has tv out. You will need a tv tuner card to be abe to receive broadcasts, theyr'e very cheap, however consider going for a digital terrestrial one (equiv to a freeview box)such as the likes of click here the easiest way to record to hdd from your tuner card is to use the software that will come bundled. As for your monitor, it's an lcd monitor isn't it?, for the likes of what you require (i.e. not gameplay), this is a good choice! Crt's are the preffered choiche of gamers and such like.

TomJerry 11:08 28 Jul 2004

Graphics card: ATI9600 class of card is more than enough around £70, look the card with output ports VGA (normal monitor link), DVI (for some good LCD monitor) and TV (link a TV to PC).

There are some graphics card with TV turner, for example all ATI's All-in-Wonder graphics card. If you buy one of those, you do not need separate TV turner card.

But I would suggest you to get a digital TV card such as Avermedia's DVB-T, so you can get great Freeview digital broadcast quality.

I will give you product links next post.

TomJerry 11:21 28 Jul 2004

AVERMEDIA DVB-T £60 from Idelcomputuing £70.5 click here, £79.99 Maplin click here. Other links can be found in Avermedia's web site click here

Sapphire Radeon 9600 AGP X8 256MB DDR DVI TV-Out Retail Box £64.14 click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?