GRAPHICS CARD!!!!!!!!HELPS

WINEBOTTLE 23:31 21 Mar 2007

SORRYS THIS IS A BIT VAGUE BUT IVE GOT THIS AOPEN PC
WHICH IS A EX-WORK PC ITS INTEL PENTIUM 4 WITH WINDOWS XP I THINK ITS AGP[IF THEY ARE SHORT GREEN CONECTIONS IN SIDE THE BOX OR PCI SLOTS WHICH I KNOW ABOUT BECAUSE IVE JUST HAD A USB PCI CARD INSTALLED
NOT WHAT TYPE OF CARD DO I GET,SO IF THAT MAKE ANY SENCE PLEASE EXPLANE WHICH IS WHICH????

Kate B 23:34 21 Mar 2007

Please don't use capitals, it's considered SHOUTING!

Tell us a bit more - do you know what the motherboard model is? What games do you want to be able to play, and most importantly, how much do you want to spend?

Totally-braindead 23:38 21 Mar 2007

If you don't know what motherboard you have download SIW it will tell you and its free click here

WINEBOTTLE 14:56 22 Mar 2007

first wow sorry that i have broken the rule about shouting. as for games its more for photos on the pc and because my pc dosn't have a card just a intel[r]extreme graphics which i think is a basic package dont know that why iam asking,as far as price i dont want to send say more that £100 in total.

WINEBOTTLE 15:34 22 Mar 2007

sorry me agian should have waited to reply till i had used SIW.
the motherboard is by Aopen,model 1244 with a intel pentium 4 cpu[socket 478] and has 3 PCI and 1 AGP system slots if that helps ps,can i repace my cpu without changing the motherboard to increase the amount of memory upto 2gb.

wee eddie 17:11 22 Mar 2007

What you have, with "On-board" Graphics should be quite sufficient for most Photographic Work, viewing DVDs and all basic Office functions.

1MB of RAM will be sufficient for almost every task, unless you are doing graphic manipulations.

If you wish to use the PC for Gaming, you will need a Graphics Card, otherwise don't bother with one, unless you find the PC is really sluggish or wish to start editing videos.

Totally-braindead 17:35 22 Mar 2007

You seem to be slightly confused here. Fitting a faster processor is not necessary to add more memory. The amount of memory your computer can take is determined by the make and model of the motherboard. Go to Crucial and click the Scan My System icon and let it tell you, what memory you have and what memory you can take click here hopefully it will also tell you the name of your motherboard as it might well be Aopen for the make but I can find no number 1244 for the motherboard and suspect that is not its model number.
Onboard graphics is fine unless you want to play games as wee eddie has mentioned. If you do decide to get one it will have to be an AGP one. The Crucial website will hopefully tell you if your board can support more memory and I agree with wee eddie as well in that for the majority of us 1 gig of memory is fine, so buying another gig, assumming you have slots free and assumming the board will take it might not make as much difference as you hope.

Oh and if you do decide to get a seperate graphics card - depending on what you choose - you will probably have to get a new power supply as well.

WINEBOTTLE 23:11 22 Mar 2007

thanks again for all the help,ive don't what you said and yet again the scan show the motherboard model as a 1244.
So iam going to wait for a responce form Crucial about the model no and if i can upgrade.

keef66 11:07 23 Mar 2007

I'm still not sure you need to be upgrading it at all if you're just using it for photos etc.

WINEBOTTLE 18:13 23 Mar 2007

yep me again it looks like I am going to leave the graphics card alone and upgrade the memory to 2GB well I was until the speakers stopped working yesterday ive looked at all the connections and carnt find whats the problem,so again thanks for all the help and hopefully I will learn a bit more about pc's as I go along.

robbiepaul79 18:43 23 Mar 2007

2 gigs to run office seems a bit extream to me personally

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?