Graphics Card/Display problem

Bebee 21:07 26 May 2003

Just setting up Asus A7V8X-X motherboard with a Geforce MX440 64Mb AGP graphics card. (AthlonXP 2000+/512DDR Ram/Clean install Win ME/Hansol 500A monitor)

The graphics card drivers crashed computer. Blue screen with windows exception error and shut down computer or shutting down soon after reboot and then into safe mode. I used different drivers from the disk and tried download from Nvidia.

Have achieved some stability but am limited to 640x480 display and no refresh rate options.

Had it working properly twice, not sure exactly how, but lost it on reboot. Have checked for BIOS upgrades but nothing seems relevant (and tried various bios settings).

Any ideas - is it possible Windows updates will help when I get my network connection going again?

Bebee 22:46 26 May 2003

Refresh

Eveready Bunny 23:05 26 May 2003

I don't know if you have resolved this problem, but I have a very similar card, a geforce4mx460, I have instability since the day I got it, about 6 months ago. So far I have tried as many settings as i know, and have downloaded all the different drivers, as yet nothing seems to work. At one point my power supply was inadequate, a new psu fixed some problems, but 3d games are still a problem, the last problem that i can think of is overheating. Are you ewxperiencing the same problems, if so, and if you find a solution please post a message!

dirtyh 23:10 26 May 2003

hi i think it may be a corrupt driver bad disk.

it happened with me d/loading from n/vidia.

you will need to uninstall all n/vidia drivers,check program files after uninstall cos they will probably be there lingering delete these, reeboot.
you will need a freind to d/load new drivers for you or wait untill conn is back on.

Bebee 00:06 27 May 2003

Thanks for the ideas. No resolution yet. I did manage to download drivers on this laptop and to transfer them with a USB linq cable, and have used two drivers from the disk. To be certain I have actually done a clean install for each driver I tried, because as you say, I found a lot left over after uninstall.

PSU should be OK - it's part of a new bundle. I'll try the people I bought it from tomorrow if I don't get anywhere - they're generally helpful.

If I come up with a solution I'll post back.

Thanks again.

BrianW 09:44 27 May 2003

Check that you have the latest Via chip drivers (the Hyperion version). I am using an mx440 on a gigabyte 7vaxp board which has the Via 400 chipset and it specifically stated that it required the latest chipset drivers installed. The result is rock steady graphics output with no problems at all. My card is the 8x AGP version. May just be worth checking what AGP setting you have in BIOS? It may be trying to force AGP 8 (but I don't think so).

Bebee 21:37 27 May 2003

Thanks Brian.

I have downloaded the latest hyperion drivers and checked th BIOS. I've tried every combination of the via and nvidia drivers with the same result. Have briefly had the correct resolution, but it's lost on reboot.

Have spoken to Tech Support at Power Computing (Bedford) and they had the same idea. They now suspect a hardware fault so I'm taking it back tomorrow - the technician has said he would check it straight away and that it should take about an hour - I only pay if I've missed something silly with the drivers (I think not thanks to everyone here). I'll post back with the result.

Bebee 12:49 28 May 2003

Problem solved! It turned out to be a faulty monitor. No way of telling without another monitor to try - it would have been easier if it had just gone kaput.

I've learned a lot about the different drivers in the process even if they weren't the problem. It does seem that some problems other people have had with the card could be solved with finding the right combination of drivers.

Thanks for all the help and ideas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?