Graphics Card...Activation!!

peter4076 09:32 31 Mar 2005

Have just changed my Graphics card, all went as easy as pie, then get a reminder to tell me that I need to activate my Windows XP within 3 days. Rang up customer care at M$$ & activated, have been running Win XP since retail o/s came out, they didn't know the reason either why I had to activate, still no harm done, anybody got any thoughts, or just log it as one of those quirks of computing.
Running WinXP SP2 and all updates.

Kate B 15:55 31 Mar 2005

You shouldn't have to reactivate XP after just one hardware change ... but it's not beyond the bounds of possibility. The activation is tied to your particular hardware setup and it detects changes so that's why, though as I say, one change shouldn't prompt a reactivation.

peter4076 23:45 31 Mar 2005

Thanks for replying, will chalk it up as unusual.
Will tick

josie mayhem 00:02 01 Apr 2005

XP does get upto some strange things. I built a new computer so brought a new copy of XPhome. All legit, fully boxed sealed everything (that is of course pcworld has change it's purchasing policy)

Loaded with out an hitch, gave the system several days before activating, and couldn't wouldn't except product key, it had been use too many times ehh....

Ended up phone to MS and activating over the phone, even then it would except the product key and I had to speak to someone. So asked why this was happening and they couldn't give me an answer only that it would be likely that phoning would be the only way that I could activate!

josie mayhem 00:05 01 Apr 2005

XP does get upto some strange things. I built a new computer so brought a new copy of XPhome. All legit, fully boxed sealed everything (that is of course pcworld has change it's purchasing policy)

Loaded with out an hitch, gave the system several days before activating, and couldn't wouldn't except product key, it had been use too many times ehh....

Ended up phone to MS and activating over the phone, even then it would except the product key and I had to speak to someone. So asked why this was happening and they couldn't give me an answer only that it would be likely that phoning would be the only way that I could activate!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Intel Coffee Lake release date and specifications

12 Amazing British Craft Beer Label Designs

watchOS 4 review

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017