GRAPHICS CARD UPGRADE ADVICE.

Old Guy. 16:38 29 Nov 2008

Hi Folks...
I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe based rig sporting an Athlon 64 X2 4400 CPU and an ASUS 7600GT Graphics card that all runs sweetly and gives me good frame rates on older games, such as Half Life 2,Far Cry and Brothers in Arms, Road to Hill 30, so no complaints and no problems.
As a first time self builder, i have upgraded my rig every year and now have a 20in Widescreen and my very first internet connection,(all be it only 3G) which now allows me to talk to my favorite monthly Mag.
I want to purchase an ATI Radeon HD 4870 G/Card as a Xmas gift to me,but have concerns that my M/B might not be up to it.Drivers,(of Course)will come with it but,will i need a Bios upgade?.. will the SLI requirement be Ok?..and what about the DDR5 RAM?..in short..will it be a good upgrade or should i consider the HD 4850 that tops your Top 5 list in issue 161.Both have DirectX 10.1 which is another upgrade.
I have followed your advice maney times before,have never regretted it but,i am afraid, have never thanked you.
Thank you Sincerly...

Old Guy.

[email protected] 17:22 29 Nov 2008

should just plug straight in, it's a seperate entity so the ram and bios should be fine. just need to make sure your power supply is up to the job. and the 4850 may be a better match for your cpu. when you switch brands uninstall the old drivers and run a driver sweeper click here to make sure all drivers are removed.

Old Guy. 17:52 29 Nov 2008

Thats good news as they both sound like great cards. I might now go for the 4870 as i am thinking also of going to a X2 6000 (939) CPU after Xmas, as the prices are falling through the floor.
My PSU is a Silver Power 400w that behaves very well.It still has a couple of spare 12v rails if the 4870 needs one but they are 4 pin..! Dose it need one?..
I understand 6pin adapters are available...

Wot thinkest thou...?

[email protected] 20:43 29 Nov 2008

you would have to replace the psu, a good quality 500 wat+ would do, it needs 2 6 pin connectors click here

[email protected] 20:52 29 Nov 2008

this should be fine for a single card with your present set up click here would need something bigger if you crossfire another (sli 2 cards) click here

Old Guy. 10:46 30 Nov 2008

I have been told before it would be wise to up my wattage,when i was thinking of a second 7600GT
a while back, so im not too supprised by your advice.The unit is 3yrs old now and a new, good qualty Modular PSU would also help to tidy up my Crap looking wiring systen.
Looks like another trip to Novetech and and a new game to celebrate Xmas with...Far Cry 2 would be nice.
Thanks again Adman2,
Merry Xmas,
Old Guy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?