Graphics card upgrade -

silverfox2 09:54 09 Jan 2011

My current graphics card draws power only from the motherboard and there is a connector on the latter which" provides an auxiliary power source for devices added on PCI Express slots" and there is a cable from the PSU plugged in to it.My new card comes with a cable which has to be plugged directly to the PSU.Do I therefore have to disconnect the auxiliary cable?
Both cards are PCI Express.

Peter

GaT7 12:00 09 Jan 2011

Your motherboard manual should have some info about it, so have a look in it. Or, if you don't have one, tell us the make & model of your motherboard - a PDF manual or related info could be available on the Internet.

If we cannot find any info about it, I'd try disconnecting the auxiliary cable & seeing how it does with the direct cable only. If it doesn't run, connect both cables. It's safer to supply less power initially than too much power.

But before doing so, tell us the details of your new graphics card & your PSU's make & model number (or wattage). If the PSU is not powerful enough, you could cause damage to it & the components it's powering. G

silverfox2 18:07 09 Jan 2011

Hi G,
The quote in my question is from the manual for the MB which is an Abit IP35 - E socket 775.That is the only reference to this connector.
The new card is a Sapphire Radeon HD5770 and the PSU is a Coolermaster Silent Pro M600W.
Hope this helps and thanks for your interest.

Peter

GaT7 18:19 09 Jan 2011

Right, I know a thing a two about this motherboard as I own a very similar Abit model.

In your case, you don't need to plug in the auxiliary cable, & you never did need it for your setup. It should only really be connected if you were using a second x16 PCI-E graphics card (in Crossfire or non-Crossfire mode).

So simply connect the HD5770 directly to the PSU to supply it power. Install the HD5770 in the PCI-E slot closest to the CPU.

And I can confirm that your particular PSU will be more than up to the job of powering the HD5770. G

silverfox2 19:10 09 Jan 2011

G. Thanks for your quick and positive response.

Cheers

Peter

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone