Graphics card upgrade

gengiscant 19:00 28 Nov 2009

I know I could do research on an upgrade, but looking for some quick answers for my wifes PC upgrade.
She currently has a Geforce FX5200 and I noticed that she is getting a little lag on a couple of games she plays, which I hasten to add are not particularly graphics hungry. So looking for a cheapish upgrade.

QuizMan 22:46 28 Nov 2009

Then look no further than page 142 of the latest PCA where they list their best graphics cards.

mrwoowoo 00:18 29 Nov 2009

I have just upgraded from an Nvidia 8600GT which still plays new games at lowish settings. Infact it played Resi 5 and Batman Arkham asylum and other new games with no problems. Going by that, then i would say anything above that card such as a cheap series 9 would surfice even if she wanted to play the odd new game or two.
I would think any of these would be fine.
click here
They do quote a 350W PSU. But i would think a 300W would do.
A friend of mine went to upgrade his 9600GT and found he had a 250W PSU and it ran with no problems.

retep888 00:59 29 Nov 2009
  mrwoowoo 04:22 29 Nov 2009

Ooops, silly me. Of course it is. Been so long since i had one that i forgot they existed.(O:!
In that case the FX6200 may be your only option although it's only a slight improvement.
click here
If you need more bang, then the ATI Radeon HD 4650 1 GB may do. But it's a lot dearer at £66.99 and will play any game although i feel that's not a priority in your wives case.
They also recommend a 400w psu as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?