Graphics card upgrade

Wee George 15:59 22 Dec 2003

Does anyone have any advice regarding upgrading a graphics card. I have a Nvidia Geforce MX/MX 400 but some of my sons games aren't working with it very well. I don't want to spend hundreds as the machine is 3 years old. I use XP with a 800 mhz Pentium 3. I have plenty of memory and storage. Many thanks Wee George

roy 16:24 22 Dec 2003

Not really much advice as graphics cards are pretty much 'horses for courses' and I am not really a games player but I would think that your processor is also becoming a brake on new game play. Often the system requirements quoted on the box of a game are optimistically underestimated. Also some modern cpu's are up to four times the speed of your present one.

It is all a sad story and it is called progress but don't spend too much on a graphics card alone. If you do go that way get a card with at least 128 Mb of DDR memory but don't spend too much. I have one with an Nvidea chip and have been very pleased with it although it is already out of date.

©®@$? 16:29 22 Dec 2003

i have the ati radeon 9600 pro paid £117 for it and run that along side a 1400 mhz cpu and 384 sdram

and this system copes easily with all the demanding games

actualy i agree with the above post, as i believe my system albeit faster than yours is a bottle neck for my graphics card .i.e i cannot get the most out of my graphics card because of the cpu.

but i still feel you will have a noticable improvement in games with a better graphics card than you currently have

but my next step is to upgrade to a new motherboard,cpu and ram..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 Hack Latest News: How Secure is your Wi-Fi?

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Comment utiliser Twitter ?